Spalted "firewood" Live Oak Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glwalker

I posted a thread a few days ago about keeping severely spalted wood round while turning and sanding. Thanks to everyone for their comments/suggestions.

I was chopping firewood several days ago and split a log that had some wonderful spalting in it.

This is the finished product. It came out pretty nice in my opinion. I spent about 10 times the amount of time on this one as I usually spend on a nice pen. The wood is (was) Florida Live Oak, which to me without being so nicely spalted would not be worth turning. The pen kit is a Black T/N and 22kt gold Nouveau Sceptre.

I used a lot of CA glue to keep the blank round and together. I agree with others' comments that it darkens and blotches the wood. I really liked the nice light/dark contrast of the wood before I started with the CA. Next time I'll try to find some hardener that won't change the color of the wood. I finished the pen off with multiple coats of Acrylic, sanded and MM'd, then a couple of coats of Ren Wax.

Thanks again for the comments/suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2535a.JPG
    IMG_2535a.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 346
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Good eye to catch that nice wood! And fine craftsmanship to turn such a nice pen.
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom