Spalted Find ! ! ! Need help identifying wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skordog

Went for a walk in the woods yesterday to see if I could find a burl on a fallen tree. No luck in that department but I did find a log that appeared to be spalted so I sawed off a few sections and brought them home. I then cut them up on the bandsaw trying to get as many blanks as possible with good spalting on them. I'm hoping they will turn out nice.

I have not picked up a tree identification book yet, but I am going to. In the meantime, can anyone tell me what they think this is based on the sections of log in the third picture?

2005327155031_Spalted%20Blanks.jpg

200532715512_Spalted%20closeup.jpg

2005327155123_Spalted%20Log.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skordog

One other question: The wood is a little damp and I will dry it out before use. But would it be best to try stabilizing it before use? I have not done it before and will have to research that topic to gain the necessary know-how.

Thanks,

Jeff

wayneis

That looks like maple to me. I've had River Ridge Products do all of my stabilizing and I believe that Steve told me that the wood has to be dry be fore stabilizing it. Also I hope that you cut the blanks over size, being that they are still damp they are going to warp and may even some cracking. asap I would seal the ends because that will help to cut down on the end cracking or checking.

Wayne

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I agree with Wayne... looks like maple to me and nice maple at that... I would dry the blanks and send them to Steve at River Ridge... for the price he charges you can't beat the service... especially compared to the iffy results that come from self-stabilization...
The one thing to remember when having wood stabilized is that it needs to be dry... the other is that it will come back darker than it was when you sent it.. but usually a nice darker... if you want that wood to stay a real maple white with dark spalting marks, you are going to have to work on a real clear finish and not stabilize them...

Daniel

these look so much like several spalted maple blanks that I have I had to check my stash to make sure you didn't get into it. so I parrot the Maple vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom