Southwest trimmed too short

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lwalper

Here's a Southwest on Buckeye burl. I believe I got a little too aggressive trimming the ends. The pen won't actually come completely together in the center -- trimmed the top barrel a bit too short and the mechanism hits the cap before the top barrel fully seats. Here's a quick snapshot ... you can see the gap -- unacceptable!

Watch those dimensions. There's apparently not a whole lot of room for error.

Attachments

• southwest-buckeye-burl.jpg
    southwest-buckeye-burl.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eliasbboy

Here's a Southwest on Buckeye burl. I believe I got a little too aggressive trimming the ends. The pen won't actually come completely together in the center -- trimmed the top barrel a bit too short and the mechanism hits the cap before the top barrel fully seats. Here's a quick snapshot ... you can see the gap -- unacceptable!

Watch those dimensions. There's apparently not a whole lot of room for error.

I'm not looking at one right now, but is there any chance of grinding a small amount off the top of the twist mechanism?

I'm not looking at one right now, but is there any chance of grinding a small amount off the top of the twist mechanism?

Or the top of the band assembly? I don't have one if these. But looking at the parts diagram, wondering if the mechanism goes all the way to the end of that center band shaft. If not, and that's what is stopping the top section, maybe it could be trimmed.

lwalper

Well, here's the repair. I put just added a bit of Cocobolo from the scrap box to the top tube. Just disassembled, used a bit of CA to attach, remounted it on the mandrel/bushings and turned the new top band to size. The overall look is not objectionable - just a moment to be a bit creative.

Attachments

• southwest-buckeye-burl-repair1.jpg
    southwest-buckeye-burl-repair1.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 130
  • southwest-buckeye-burl-repair2.jpg
    southwest-buckeye-burl-repair2.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

lwalper

Actually, I think the bottom tube got trimmed a little short too. When the pen retracts it just barely comes within the confines of the nib. It's inside OK, but not quite where I'd like it. When I made it I didn't think I took off much of the brass. A little smidge here and a little smidge there seems to make quite a difference on this one. Be careful with your dimensions.:)

lwalper

I suppose that would be a possibility, but remembering to repeat that at refill replacement time would always be an issue. As it is it's actually OK, just a bit closer to the end of the nib than I'd have liked liked it to be. It extends properly and works OK, so ... next time.:redface:

randyrls

I don't know if you trim with a pen mill or a sanding jig, but I use a sanding jig. I can hear when the disk hits the brass by a change in tone.

Otherwise, a good pen.

gimpy

How about trimming a little bit off the plastic top of the refill? I've seen this explained in a demonstration.

Only problem with that is when it sells, the folks would be in the same boat, they would know enough to trip the refill.........

Top Bottom