Sources for exceptional blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeremy

I was curious if anyone had some sources they would like to promote. I'd like to get some really nice blanks. Some burls with real depth and character, maybe a few amboyna with sap etc. Also some suggestions for what you personally feel are the woods with the most "wow" factor.

I've purchased some blanks that were burls in the past, but when finished they just had nothing going on, dull really. I really like amboyna, but it doesn't have depth really, just character.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I was curious if anyone had some sources they would like to promote. I'd like to get some really nice blanks. Some burls with real depth and character, maybe a few amboyna with sap etc. Also some suggestions for what you personally feel are the woods with the most "wow" factor.

I've purchased some blanks that were burls in the past, but when finished they just had nothing going on, dull really. I really like amboyna, but it doesn't have depth really, just character.

Take a look in the classified ads here. I am sure you will find something. I used to get all my burls from Nolan.

jskeen

Take a look in the classified ads here. I am sure you will find something. I used to get all my burls from Nolan.

Speaking of Nolan, Anybody heard from him lately? I dropped him a note at his webpage, but didn't hear back. He still shows a few things in stock, but is he taking a hiatus from the wood biz?

David Keller

Not sure what you're looking for, but I've had great luck with issacrapelje in the classifieds here.

As for 'wow factor', I'd say desert ironwood burl and the rosewood burls are about as nice as anything that I've seen.

concho_joe

Arizona Silhouettes is good, and so is Bear Tooth Woods. I like Amboyna, but also like a good buckeye burl!!! Some buckeye blanks may look just horriable, but can be really beautiful once turned and finished. Hope that helps.

cbatzi01

Buying from IAP members has ALWAYS resulted in the best products (wood, tools, ink, PR). I would not hesitate to buy from Exotic Blanks, BigRob, or Nolan, just to name a few.

Good luck!
Chris

witz1976

Speaking of Nolan, Anybody heard from him lately? I dropped him a note at his webpage, but didn't hear back. He still shows a few things in stock, but is he taking a hiatus from the wood biz?

I did too, but never heard from him. I hope he is still around, I was looking for a new pen mill head.

aggromere

Isaac and Big Rob have some really nice wood blanks and Exotic Blanks has a lot of nice pre rounded man made blanks. There are several other vendors on the forums with blanks as well. Monty (of glue fame) has some nice olive wood. JohnM, as someone mentioned also has some great wood. Honduran Rosewood and Cocobolo and others.

I have not bought a blank except from IAP vendors in a long long time.

KenV

Jeremy, photos can be hard getting a capture on the finishes, but it looked like your third stopper captured the reflections to give a illusion of depth. The other two, I cannot tell in the photos.

If you can get the illusion of depth to pop, you can get some good effects with wood that otherwise might be boring.

There are as many combinations as there are turners -- and getting the finishes to the max has taken practice and the use of dyes on some occasions.

Reece

Yeah, Exotic Blanks have some pretty impressive burls, they're worth a look.

Don't give up on Amboyna, it's amazing stuff. Also, Buckeye burl is great for it's range of different colours. Also try bird's eye Huon Pine if you can get hold of any. Beautiful stuff, and smells amazing while being turned.

Top Bottom