Source for Seirra style transmissions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Thanks to Sbell111 I now have a M8.5x1 tap that matches the threads on the Sierra style transmissions ( I understand that it is also fits the Baron/Sedona/Navigator/etc front assembly and the Jr Gent couplers ).

I have not seen where I can purchase just the Sierra style transmissions.

Does anyone know of a source for these?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Thanks for your responses. I guess I was looking in all the wrong places. :biggrin:

MarkD

If there is interest, I am going to order a bunch in teh next week or so.

I had forgotten that there are several types of Sierra style transmissions.
There is the "Sierra" transmission which is barrel activated and there is the is the style like the "LeRoi" uses which which is finial activated. At this point I'm not sure which style I would be using the most. I guess it would depend on what I'm making at the time.

sbell111

There is the "Sierra" transmission which is barrel activated and there is the is the style like the "LeRoi" uses which which is finial activated. At this point I'm not sure which style I would be using the most. I guess it would depend on what I'm making at the time.

I'm confused by the terminology. I see the two style of pens as follows:

Sierra - This is the original style and is the same as the Wall Street II. The mechanism works by twisting the barrel in relation to the nib assembly.

Gatsby - The final pen is virtually identical in appearance to the Sierra, but the transmission is located between the clip assembly and the cap. The mechanism is operated by twisting the cap in relation to the barrel.

The tap that I sell is known to match the threads on the Sierra transmission. I have not checked it against the Gatsby transmission. Has anyone verified the size of the threads that the Gatsby uses?

Last edited:

MarkD

I just checked the thread size of the transmissions for a Sierra against a Gatsy and they are not even close. The Gatsy is about .060 smaller in diameter than the Sierra transmission.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Won't work

Sierra - This is the original style and is the same as the Wall Street II. The mechanism works by twisting the barrel in relation to the finial.

Gatsby - The final pen is virtually identical in appearance to the Sierra, but the transmission is located between the clip assembly and the cap. The mechanism is operated by twisting the cap in relation to the barrel.

The tap that I sell is known to match the threads on the Sierra transmission. I have not checked it against the Gatsby transmission. Has anyone verified the size of the threads that the Gatsby uses?

I've only eyeballed not measured...but I'm convinced that the same tap will not work on both transmission types.

sbell111

Thanks to Sbell111 I now have a M8.5x1 tap that matches the threads on the Sierra style transmissions ( I understand that it is also fits the Baron/Sedona/Navigator/etc front assembly and the Jr Gent couplers ).

I have not seen where I can purchase just the Sierra style transmissions.

Does anyone know of a source for these?
I now have Sierra transmissions in stock. Check the business classified section.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Sierra - This is the original style and is the same as the Wall Street II. The mechanism works by twisting the barrel in relation to the nib assembly.

Your understanding is correct....I have never checked the threads but a Sierra transmission will screw into a Gatsby and visa-versa. I just tried it.l

Last edited:

sbell111

Your understanding is correct....I have never checked the threads but a Sierra transmission will screw into a Gatsby and visa-versa. I just tried it.l

Awesome. The mystery of the thread sizes for all of our kits is slowly becoming clear.

Top Bottom