Source for corn cobs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warreng8170

I have an order for 10 corn cob cigars so I need to order a few. Anybody know of a good place to get them? I know CSUSA sells them, but I seem to remember way back someone posting a place that specialized in stabilized corn cobs.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
www.exoticblanks.com

has them in stock in several colors as well as natural.

They are stabilized - I've turned several and like them better than other sources I have used. (I have NOT used Iowa cobbs, so this is not meant to "slam" their products)

Disclosure: In case you don't know, Dawn and I ARE exotic blanks, I DO have a vested interest, but I believe my comments are accurate.

rjwolfe3

I know you are looking for stabilized and the above sources are excellent but if you need just cheap cobbs, I found a bag of "squirrel" corn at Menard's dirt cheap. Again not trying to take anything for the above sources because they are both great.

I have ordered from Iowacobb a couple of times and they are great. Cheap and good quality. They are stabilized and have colored cobbs as well as natural. I have never ordered them from exoticblanks so I don't know their quality. However, I have ordered other things from exoticblanks and you can't beat their customer support and product quality. In fact this reminds me that I need to order some more blanks from them.

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
I have ordered from Iowacobb a couple of times and they are great. Cheap and good quality. They are stabilized and have colored cobbs as well as natural. I have never ordered them from exoticblanks so I don't know their quality. However, I have ordered other things from exoticblanks and you can't beat their customer support and product quality. In fact this reminds me that I need to order some more blanks from them.

I've never turned any of the corn cobs from Exoticblanks but have see pens made with them. If I was looking for corn cobs I'd get them from there. It they are anything like the rest of their blanks you can't go wrong.
Dave

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I HAVE turned "raw cobs" and it most certainly CAN be done. But you will use a LOT of CA, which has some value as well as a lot more TIME than using our stabilized cobs.

YES, I AM biased. But, I won't sell a product I don't believe in. I believe these cobs are worth the investment. You'll recover it, when you sell the pen, anyhow.

sbell111

No one mentioned stabilizing them with CA. I actually find that stabilization method to be very wasteful with cobs, although others are surely to differ.

I've stabilized cobs successfully using a few different methods. My current goop of choice is ultraseal. It works well and, while there is some cost, it's less expensive than buying prestabilized blanks, by far.

jleiwig

I've stabilized cobs successfully using a few different methods. My current goop of choice is ultraseal. It works well and, while there is some cost, it's less expensive than buying prestabilized blanks, by far.

Only less expensive if you have the equipment already to do the stabilizing. If you don't have the equipment then already stabilized blanks look much more appealing.

JohnU

I turn corncobb all the time but have never turned a stabilized cobb, so i cant comment on the difference. I just pick my corn off the stalk late in the year before they are harvested and when I need one, grab it out of the sack and shuck the corn off. When i turn then down, I use some thin CA to seal and then brush several coats of dipping lacquer to smooth and shine it up. Of course theres the several days of curing time and then I use EEE Cream to polish and buff on the wheel.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Soak the squirrel food corn cobs in enough of a solution of 50/50 white glue and water to cover them in a plastic bag for a couple days. Then remove them and let them dry for a week. It makes them hard enough to turn in the lathe, and the final hardening won't take nearly as much CA glue.

Top Bottom