Source for a bigger chuck?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark549

I've got a bench-top craftsman drill press. This evening, I started to make my first Baron pen, but my chuck is too small for the larger bit. I removed my chuck via the little screw inside. Now what? Does Sears stock larger chucks that will work? Thanks

Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hrigg

Can't honestly say I've seen it in those particular sizes, but many bits can be purchased with ¼" shanks--some with surprisingly large diameters. You may not have a local source, however.

took about a minute and a half to find this...
http://www.hermanscentral.com/site/department.cfm?id=327E958E-123F-24EC-3E55237494ABFE9E

Mark549

I'm thinking the best solution will be to get a Jacobs Keyless Lathe Chuck for the jet mini that will handle up to 1/2 inch bits. One can always use more tools, huh?

Thanks

Randy_

What size chuck do you have and what size bits are you trying to use??

From your description, I'm guessing you have a smaller DP with a 3/8 inch chuck? Chances are that you will not be able to find a larger chuck to fit that DP; but we won't know for sure until we have a little more information. It would help if you posted the model number of the DP.

You are probably looking at buying a bigger DP or getting a set of bits where the larger ones have shanks turned down to 3/8".

I would stay away from a keyless 1/2" chuck for your lathe. It is difficult to get those things to hold the bits securely enough so they won't slip. If you want to drill in your lathe, that is fine; but my recommendation would be to purchase a Jacobs chuck that requires a key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom