Soon to do my first tru-stone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So a guy at work that works over in the area my wife does decided to have us try to turn a banded malachite tru-stone cigar for him. She explained to him that I have yet to do a tru-stone and we just got our woodchuck pen pro so we could start doing them. In fact, I just ordered 2 from exotics on Tuesday. He ended up giving her the money to get one from WC and told her for us to try and if it fails he will just be out the money for the blank. It it turns out well he is going to have us put it on a Platinum cigar. I figured ok then lol. I won't argue with that. Not that I too worried, I know all the things to do with the tru-stone, and now that I have the right tool, I think it won't be horrible. I am always just nervous about doing something new for the first time. He is also having me do a kelly green acrylic from WC for a second cigar pen, that one is obviously easy for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

He is also having me do a kelly green acrylic from WC for a second cigar pen, that one is obviously easy for me.

Then the malachite pen will also be easy. Malachite is one of the softer tru-stones. It turns (a little) easier than most acrylic acetates and much easier than polyester resins. Turquoise is another tru-stone that is easy to turn.

RodNeep

Hint: It is HARD stuff !!

Great when finished though

0173-be-malachite5.jpg

0173-be-malachite1.jpg

I am not in a hurry to do another one, even though I have some more blanks. :rolleyes:
Rod

ToddMR

Rod, thanks for sharing with me. That does look pretty cool! Thanks!

Stan, yeah, I made sure when I ordered the other ones I got 1 that was marked as an easier color to turn, but I also just had to snag a red dino-bone that is marked a medium difficulty. LOL.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Now you're in trouble... :) Saw your pen and you liked it... Next your going to be going back to exotics and re-looking at all the different colors!!!

Brooks803

You shouldn't have any issues. Keep the heat down and don't be aggressive with the carbide tool and you'll be fine. Malachite is an easy one. This is the azurite trustone with banded malachite accents so its a stable blank. Let us know how it goes!

jttheclockman

So a guy at work that works over in the area my wife does decided to have us try to turn a banded malachite tru-stone cigar for him. She explained to him that I have yet to do a tru-stone and we just got our woodchuck pen pro so we could start doing them. In fact, I just ordered 2 from exotics on Tuesday. He ended up giving her the money to get one from WC and told her for us to try and if it fails he will just be out the money for the blank. It it turns out well he is going to have us put it on a Platinum cigar. I figured ok then lol. I won't argue with that. Not that I too worried, I know all the things to do with the tru-stone, and now that I have the right tool, I think it won't be horrible. I am always just nervous about doing something new for the first time. He is also having me do a kelly green acrylic from WC for a second cigar pen, that one is obviously easy for me.

Todd

If you turned acrylic than this will be no problem at all. The green has to be one of the classiest colors out there and put that on a gold colored kit and it shines. I use a skew to turn mine. The only times I use a carbide cutter is if i am turning metals such as brass or aluminum. Maybe there is some truestone that can be abit tougher but it does have acrylic in it so be careful and make sure you measure the kit parts first and work from those measurements and do not rely on the bushings. Too expensive of a blank to be playing chicken with bushings.:)

Top Bottom