Sometimes this happens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

This would have been a platinum Cigar pen. It happened when I was pressing the tip coupler into the lower body. Very frustrating and disappointing. It was a nice looking blank, too. It was a Woodshed blank called Rusty Rebar. It was the second one I turned, and it was hard and apparently brittle. I probably didn't clean out the brass tube enough before I pressed the coupler in. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Attachments

• 065.JPG
    065.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 048.JPG
    048.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 371
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 230
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Jim,
I usually file/sand the inside of the tube till the parts will press almost all the way in by hand (1/16") as many materials just can't withstand the expansion of the brass when parts are pressed in.

I will use just a touch of epoxy on the fittings to lock them in place. I use a toothpick and place a tiny dot or two of epoxy on the fitting or into the tube before pressing in. This has sure helped eliminate damage.

Hope this helps!

thunderwear

This would have been a platinum Cigar pen. It happened when I was pressing the tip coupler into the lower body. Very frustrating and disappointing. It was a nice looking blank, too. It was a Woodshed blank called Rusty Rebar. It was the second one I turned, and it was hard and apparently brittle. I probably didn't clean out the brass tube enough before I pressed the coupler in. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

I just ruined a nice pen the same exact way. Learning experience. Now I use an Xacto knife to clean out the inside of the ends of the tubes before assembling. I saw a post where someone uses dental wax (like the sheets people buy when they have braces) and he plugs the ends of the tubes prior to gluing the tube in the blank. Genius! I think I am going to try that to eliminate problems like this.

WriteON

Been there before. I just put it back on the lathe and took that section down to the brass tube. Once it was cleaned up I added some small bands of matching colors then turned it back down to size. Blank saved.

That or shorten/face and use for a different kit

WriteON

I just ruined a nice pen the same exact way. Learning experience. Now I use an Xacto knife to clean out the inside of the ends of the tubes before assembling. I saw a post where someone uses dental wax (like the sheets people buy when they have braces) and he plugs the ends of the tubes prior to gluing the tube in the blank. Genius! I think I am going to try that to eliminate problems like this.

Either pink or yellow soft base plate wax...ask your dentist for sheet or two...or find a local dental lab...maybe they'll give a few sheets for a buck or 2.

mecompco

Either pink or yellow soft base plate wax...ask your dentist for sheet or two...or find a local dental lab...maybe they'll give a few sheets for a buck or 2.

I got a 1lb. box of pink dental wax on eBay for about $10.00. Pretty much a lifetime supply.

I will say, though, that you can sometimes still get enough epoxy/CA in the mouth of the tube that you'll need to scrape and/or sand it out.

Having recently had a faux-stone (or whatever Woodturninz sells) split a day after assembly, I'm leaning towards extra sanding of the tubes for a looser fit and plenty of blue Loc-Tite if I'm at all concerned the blank may be on the brittle side.

qquake

Actually, I use non-hardening modeling clay that I get from Michael's to plug the tubes before gluing them in the blanks. I still usually scrape inside the ends before trimming and turning them. I use the awl in a Boy Scout knife to do the scraping. But honestly, I can't remember if I scraped these or not. I do know the bushings fit easily inside the tubes. Regardless, theoretically the clay should have kept epoxy out of the tubes.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 166
  • scraper01.JPG
    scraper01.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 154
  • scraper04.JPG
    scraper04.JPG
    253 KB · Views: 149

qquake

For a while now, I've wanted to make a pen with one body colored, and the other black. I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to try it. I had to get the coupler out of the blank before I could turn it off the tube. Since the body is tapered, I drilled a 1/2" hole in a piece of scrap wood, which allowed the body to only go in about half way then stop. I used a transfer punch to pop the coupler out of it. Easy peasy.

Attachments

• 075.JPG
    075.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 076.JPG
    076.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 077.JPG
    077.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 103

qquake

When I turned it off, I noticed there wasn't much epoxy on the broken end. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.

Attachments

• 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 080.JPG
    080.JPG
    301.7 KB · Views: 96
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 106

qquake

I cleaned the tube with my 1" belt sander. I had a piece of a Rhino Coal Mine blank that was long enough, so I drilled it. Since the Coal Mine blank is opaque, I didn't need to paint the tube or color the epoxy. I made sure I used plenty of epoxy this time, completely coating the inside of the hole.

Attachments

• 083.JPG
    083.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 084.JPG
    084.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 086.JPG
    086.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 090.JPG
    090.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 092.JPG
    092.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 97

farmer

Hi
Being direct I think your finish was terrible to begin with and the finish cracking was the best thing that could of happened before it got in some customers hands .....

Its foggy or cloudy ....... CA without activator is flexible.
Is it possible you had issues before the finish cracked ?

Hope that doesn't upset you .
Is your CA going bad ?

qquake

Hi
Being direct I think your finish was terrible to begin with and the finish cracking was the best thing that could of happened before it got in some customers hands .....

Is your CA going bad ?

This is acrylic, it has no finish on it, it's just polished. I would think CA would craze the surface of acrylic. Could it be the "cloudiness" you're seeing is the metallic powders in the blank? In fact, you can tell by the reflections of the lights in the blank how glossy it is.

Last edited:

magpens

This is acrylic, it has no finish on it, it's just polished. I would think CA would craze the surface of acrylic. Could it be the "cloudiness" you're seeing is the metallic powders in the blank? In fact, you can tell by the reflections of the lights in the blank how glossy it is.

I agree with you, Jim. . The "finish" looks fine ... great in fact ! . (Actually, CA can be applied to acrylic without crazing it.)

Last edited:

farmer

Acrylic

Hi

Is your CA going bad ?

LOL At first glance it looked like coco or rose wood and the silver streaks looked like cloudy finish ...

Sorry .

mikelsdo

My guess would be that it wasn't tube expansion because of the way it cracked. I would say you pressed it to hard against the blank. We all live and learn.

magpens

I agree with you, Jim. . The "finish" looks fine ... great in fact ! . (Actually, CA can be applied to acrylic without crazing it.)
[/size]

Why would you put CA on acrylic when it's not necessary?

You can buy (or make) blanks which are an "amalgam" of wood and acrylics. You *need* the CA to finish the exposed wood and the CA also covers the exposed acrylic. In fact, in that case, you can't finish the acrylic part in any other way because if you tried to do so you would invariably spoil the look of the exposed wood. Such blanks are sometimes called "amalgam-mutt" blanks for reasons I don't understand.

Also, you can use CA to fill any small surface voids (due to casting bubbles) in an acrylic blank, or to "build it up" if you have accidentally turned it down a little too much.

Last edited:

qquake

You can buy (or make) blanks which are an "amalgam" of wood and acrylics. You *need* the CA to finish the exposed wood and the CA also covers the exposed acrylic. In fact, in that case, you can't finish the acrylic part in any other way because if you tried to do so you would invariably spoil the look of the exposed wood. Such blanks are sometimes called "amalgam-mutt" blanks for reasons I don't understand.

Also, you can use CA to fill any small surface voids (due to casting bubbles) in an acrylic blank, or to "build it up" if you have accidentally turned it down a little too much.
[/SIZE]

As Mal said . And `sometimes` you can seal a small crack invisibly with thin CA .

Well duh, you guys are right. I didn't think of those situations. I've used CA on acrylic to fill voids before. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Such blanks are sometimes called "amalgam-mutt" blanks for reasons I don't understand.

Amalgam = Mixture

Mutt = Mixed Breed

Simply Eugene's name for his line of wood/resin blanks.

Many other blank makers use similar processes and have different names, this is just what ElMostro has labeled some of his products.

qquake

Got the new lower body finished. I rather like the look.

Attachments

• done07.JPG
    done07.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 112
  • done08.JPG
    done08.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 94
  • done09.JPG
    done09.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 88
  • done11.JPG
    done11.JPG