Something similar to the Classic/Elite?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MiteyF

I've turned a few of the Classic rollerballs and the Classic Elite rollerballs. I like the style, and they're smaller than many capped pens, which fit my little girly hands better. I especially like the proportions of the Elite, but can't stand gold on any of my pens, and both color options for the Elite have gold. Are there any similarly sized (these are 10mm tubes, body and cap) and styled kits available without that gaudy gold?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gregory Hardy

No. Nope. Not!

First, let me say that I feel your pain. That kit pen is my favorite kit pen. Ergo, I assume that you have good taste and a fine sense of design.

I have tried everything. There are others, but they are still poorly styled kits. The Classic Elite is my very favorite kit pen, and I make a boat load of them, but I wish someone would make that kit size with some tasteful part options. Summary: I have started making custom "kitless" pens with the goal of developing strong enough skills to work in that diameter.

(Though it doesn't make the look any better, I have been adding Bock nibs - Phil Dart at Beaufort Ink - to this kit. It doesn't look better, but it works better.)

Good luck on your journey, and if you find a solution, let me know!

magpens

Is this the pen kit you're referring to ....

PKEL2R2.jpg

magpens

Sorry about the size ... had no control over that ... just copied pic from google search

I believe the Classic Elite (or Classic Elite 2) is a PSI product.

MiteyF

Yes, yes, and yes. That's the kit. I like the look, I LOVE the feel, but I just... hate... gold. I recently turned another of the black/chrome "regular" Elite to add to my stash, and it has quickly become my daily driver. I've turned a few of the Elites as gifts, and adore how they fit my hand, and how they write with my preferred insert, but could never bring myself to actually stick one in my pocket day to day at work because of the gold.

pshrynk

Even as just an accent, huh? Kind of like the old style Toyotas with the 200 pounds of chrome everywhere. Good cars, but godawful ugly. I have a set of Classic Elites in black with Black circuit board blanks that I am using day to day and do love the feel of them. I don't mind the gold, though.

MiteyF

I assume you mean Classic, and not Classic Elite? I don't know that they make the Elite in black, or at least I've never been able to find one.

I've always been anti-bling, and (mostly) anti-gold. Hell, the engagement ring my old lady wears is white gold, because I couldn't bring myself to get her a "regular" gold ring.

A lot of the pen kits I see (and especially some of the "high end" kits) with all of that engraving, accents, fancy clips and embellishments just make me cringe. Many of the Sierra types come to mind. And just about every one of the "theme" pens kind of drive me up a wall to be honest, dragon pens, celtic pens... they look like something you'd get at a gift shop for $4.

I feel your pain too. My hands are barely large enough to palm a baseball :) Like you I prefer simple and elegant over blingy and baroque. I can't stand gold hardware at all either. In fact, it seems we have the exact same taste in pens. I made a Flat Top FP from BTW, but man does it feel cheap - which it is - so I immediately gave it away. If you ever happen to find that perfect kit with a quality feel for those of us with small hands, please, let me know!

Top Bottom