Something Impressive

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bburnham

Hi,
I just found out that my District Superintendent is retiring in April. She happens to be a "pen person" and has admired my work in the past. Any suggestions to style and material that I could use to make a very special gift?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Welcome Barb! Can you tell us more about her? Off the top of my head, without knowing more about her, a Baron fountain pen made with Pink Ivory barrels usually makes a great gift to a woman, and especially a pen person. The Baron is slightly smaller than the Jr. Gent V2, and thus may be better suited for her, depending on the size of her hands. Another option is one of the Series 2000 kits from Berea...they are narrower than the Baron, and may be seen as more "feminine" looking.

arioux

Hi,

Pink Ivory is a great choice, specially when you tell them that it is one of the rarest wood in the world.:)

For the kit, if you have a chance to look at her regular writing tools, this will help you. Ladies often like slimmer pens, like the 7mm euro or the confort grip (without the rubber grip). If you want to go to fountain pen then Jimgo gave you good advice, series 2000 could be winner.

Hope this help you,

Alfred

JimGo

Actually, one other suggestion. Still with a PI barrel: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0368

kf4knf

Fountain pens seem like a good choice for any pen person. I think they see the "skill" and have "respect" for the instrument when using it. I love it because the rich history. My upper management loves them! Besides, how many other managers will have a pen that nice!?!

JimGo, I have seen pink ivory at the wood store and it looks "OK" - does it really look that good when turned? Someone once told me it was hard as a rock to turn...

JimGo

I don't think it's that hard. In fact, I think it's softer than some of the stuff I turn on a more regular basis. But then, my two favorite woods are Cocobolo and Lignum Vitae, so hardness is relative. The big thing with PI isn't the figure; it's rare to get a good piece with any figure. In fact, in many cases, it is the wood's distinct LACK of figure that really distinguishes it. But even more than the figure/lack of figure, it's the color. Most people won't believe it's a natural color 'till they go online and do the research.

Here are two pictures of a PI pen I did, to give you a reference:

redfishsc

Try finding a nice tree on the campus and lop off a fat branch (an inch to inch and a half). This usually hits the spot when you tell them it's from a tree from a special place. Dogwood, Eucalyptus, and other common shade-tree woods make nice pens. I've done this on several trees. Oh, and do it in a spot nobody will notice (get permission first but do the cutting tastefully).

You'll need to cut the branch blanks about 7" long. Use the lathe to remove the bark but don't remove much wood. Soak the green blanks (undrilled!) in denatured alcohol overnight. Allow it to air dry for a couple of weeks.

Once it's dried (you'll have to guess at this if you don't have a moisture meter), use it as you would any other blank. ***Just be sure to try to drill out the pith.***

jwoodwright

Redfish, great idea.

You can weight the piece on a postage scale. When the wood stabilizes at the relative humidity of your space, you're ready to turn. I.E. it remains at the same weight for several days...[:)]

redfishsc

So, J, I guess you'd have to weigh it immediatly after taking it from the alcohol bath? I've found it the BEST method for fast, safe drying of standard straight-grained blanks (burls and curls get it too but they get a newspaper wrapping for a few weeks for slower drying).

jwoodwright

RF, Limb wood is reactionary. Much more than trunk.
Without a moisture reader, weight is the next best method.
Alcohol or Soap/Water mixtures work.
Newspapers and shavings help absorb the "leeched" water...
Additionally, imagine the wood as a handful of straws, water only moves through the ends... That old end grain problem... I've left pieces standing in a mason jar with Alcohol. Next day I turned them over... The ones that crack, why they're fire starters for the Barbeque![:I]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom