Some things I learned

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

knottyharry

While working on the bullet pen I managed to learn a couple of things I would like to share with you fine folks.
The 30-06 pen casings I used I had some problems with. I'm sure little experience was a lot of it. But I found out I had to do something to fill the nib end, and the butt end. Because the opening in the casing is a little larger than the brass tubes we use in our pens now for pressing the nib, and other parts into. And I wanted it for a guide.
These pics didn't come out real good but I think you can see what i'm talking about. Here are a couple of 270 shell casings. The one on the right is a regular 270 shell, the one on the left is a 270 WSM shell casing.

20052681727_270-casings.jpg

The WSM casing on the left is about a 16th longer than the brass tube for the slimline pens. But very usable. You could even grind a little off the nib end of the casing. With the other casing you would have to use a longer tube cut to length.

The next pic shows the tubes inserted in the casings. It is a pretty good fit. And with a little CA glue, it works great.

20052682639_tubes-casing.jpg

The next pic is of the butt end of the casing. I drilled out the primer, and enlarged the hole using a 9/32 drill bit to accommodate
the brass tube. In this pic you can see if you look real hard the tube is about 1/16 short. But this can be remedied very easily.
I wish the pics came out better, but hopefully this will be of some help to the rest of you.
Harry

20052684335_backside.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom