Some questions/advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shortz1lla

First, a little bit of information: I have been asked to make a fountain pen for a CEO of a company (never made one). Received an order for four bolt action pens (never made them).
Here are my questions:
1. What is your go to premium fountain pen kit to sell in a $150-200 price range?
2. What do you charge for bolt action pens?
3. What is your preference for display/gift boxes for your high-end pens?

I am asking what YOUR thoughts are, so I can get a general idea based upon a combination of factors. I would prefer not to get into a debate about the way everyone is different and all that jazz. Just some simple questions, hoping for some simple answers. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kovalcik

Go to exotic blanks and under "pen kits" click on "high end pen kits". That will give you an idea of price range for the hardware and type of hardware. You can then buy from them or check other sites for similar quality kits. Of course you need a high end blank to go with it. My preference is reincarnated wood or a nice burl.

I don't make the bolt action kits so cannot help you there, but I deliver my high end pens in a wood box.

Last edited:

ashaw

A far as components +1 on Tom.
One thing with a fountain pen. Make sure you put a god nib on it. Either Bock of Jowo.
My bolt actions are in the $150.00 My magnum bolt action is 160.00 sold four of them yesterday. Low end cardboard to leatherette. High end Glass insert box or cherry high end box.

shortz1lla

I wasn't asking what the kits cost, that is of no real concern. I was asking what the preferred "premium fountain" kit or kits are. How in the world are you selling bolt actions for $150?! I need your marketing skills! How can you justify selling a $15 set of components for 10x that? I have some trouble pricing them high without feeling like I'm ripping somebody off.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I wasn't asking what the kits cost, that is of no real concern. I was asking what the preferred "premium fountain" kit or kits are. How in the world are you selling bolt actions for $150?! I need your marketing skills! How can you justify selling a $15 set of components for 10x that? I have some trouble pricing them high without feeling like I'm ripping somebody off.

This is the reason you won't get much information.

I too would suggest the Junior Gent, Junior Statesman or Triton. But the price a "professional pen seller" will be able to get is not necessarily indicative of what others will get.

Your statement is a little inconsistent. Line one says the kit cost is of "no real concern"----then you say that a 10x markup is exorbitant. Since the 10x figure is based on the cost, it IS a REAL concern.

Which all demonstrates why YOU need to believe YOUR pen is worth what YOU charge.

As time goes on, you will "blow up" more high end blanks and realize there is a significant cost of learning to make a high end pen. Then, you may believe your work is more valuable-----or not, and that is YOUR decision!!

Good luck on your sale!!!

Ed

BTW, to me a $200 fountain pen is not high end. This is a "middle of the road" fountain.

Last edited:

Chasper

In the $150-$200 range I sell Jr Gents and Tritons
Bolt action for $99
I have my own model of solid wood box

kovalcik

Ok, to put it another way, my preferred fountain pen would be one of the ones at Exotics when I go to the high end pen section or a similar pen kit from CSUSA or PSI. Not to be difficult, but I don't have one in particular. It depends on the customer, the blank, whether I am ordering other stuff from that vendor, and to be honest, my mood when ordering. The last one I made was a Statesman. Next one, I was thinking of the Majestic but have not ordered yet (and that may bump out of the $200 range). Depends on how my next show turns out.

Last edited:

PenMan1

In the $200 range, my "goto" fountain pen is a Jr. Gent or Jr. Retro with a Bock 5mm fine point nib a Schmidt K5 piston, and either Private Reserve or j. Herbin international cartridges. If the customer prefers a non-postable fountain (many customers here do), I like the Roman Harvest rhodium plate with a 6 mm fine Bock nib. UNLIKE many here, I have very little success with the JoWo or Heritance nibs when customers compare them directly with the Bock. CONVERSELY, those customers who prefer broad (yes, there's STILL a few of them) or italic nibs get the JoWo (Miesternibs) as those are the only manufacturers that make them readily available.

I don't sell bolt action pens, antler or bullet pens as they don't do well in my venue.

The best two boxes I've found come from Made in China.com. Penn State sells these as "black epoxy painted windowed display box" and the other is called "Bubinga high end display box". In quantity, these boxes are in the $8-10 range.

If you have never made a fountain pen before, I'd recommend some research at places like the fountain pen network, etc. There are some MINIMUM standards that FP users demand from any fountain. Make sure you KNOW what these are and avoid the "rookie" mistakes.

Respectfully submitted.

Top Bottom