Some questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Maximil

Hello

I have some questions, if you can help me:

- where to buy good qualité gold nib for gentleman kit ?
- I make my pen without any lathe as you know. I would like to know if perfect finitions (really round by example ) are possible with a mini lathe or not ?

Thanks a lot
Maximil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

contact Lou (dcbluesman) about the nib.

A mini lathe with a good mandrel and bushings, or turning between centers can get you about as perfect as you can get. Not to say that your drill press rig won't do it with some fine tuning (it is after all nothing more than a verticle lathe).

Joe G

Mini lathes turn out wonderful pens and probably a lot easier than a drill press rig. There are mini/midi lathes out there at less than $200. I would buy one that uses a morse taper #2 so if you decide to go bigger later on, anything you buy for the mini will be able to be used in future. If you are turning out nice pens with the drill press, you wont believe what you can do with a mini( bowls, bottle stoppers vases, candle holders and lots and lots of pens.

Maximil

Thanks. Ouch, 125$ for a gold nib, I've the pen with the nib for that price here:frown:

Do you all have a wood lathe, or is there a few who have a metal lathe ? I ask me if a little metal lathe woudn't be better, 'cause you can woodturn but you can create all the parts of your pen too. What do you thinck about this ?

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Do you all have a wood lathe, or is there a few who have a metal lathe ? I ask me if a little metal lathe woudn't be better, 'cause you can woodturn but you can create all the parts of your pen too. What do you thinck about this ?

While most of us use wood lathes, there are a few folks here who use metal lathes for the reason you mention. The most common mini-metal lathes here in the US (Grizzly, Harbor Freight, Enco, ToolsNow, Micromark) are rebranded C2 or C3 lathes made by Sieg Industries, I would suspect the same is true in Europe.

I have been tempted to get myself a mini-metal lathe for some time now.

Top Bottom