Some new pens, new dyes, and my pen press

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Donkeee

Disclaimer! Sorry my pic is so terrible. My camera is bad. I will be buying a new one soon to post some better pics.

This is a picture of some new pens I did this weekend. I have been playing around with TransTint Dyes. They are great to use so far. I bought about 10 colors from WoodCraft. (link below) Basically you just mix a few drops of the dye with denatured alcohol. Once I turn the piece I simply saturate the blank in the dye, and then finish as normal. The colors are bright and vivid, tho you can't tell due to the quality of the picture. Any feed back is welcome! I feel like I'm regressing in my ability lately, so I'll pose some questions for the experts here.

1. Sanding segmented blanks I create. With different woods in the segmentation, the woods are all different hardness. When I am sanding/turning I have problems getting them to a uniform shape.

2. Putting bushings in the trimmed blanks. I have to use a vise just about every time to get the bushings in the blank.

:question:3. Finally, I am looking for someone who I can send one of my pens to dissect and give me some feed back. Check the roundness, finish, chop it in half, set it on fire, etc... :at-wits-end: I have a package of blanks I can send for the trouble. If interested send me a message, and I will pick a couple of people to send them to.

Also wanted to show you guys my pen press. I mounted it to a piece of scrap wood and covered it in thick felt. It gives me a great surface for assembling pens.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2001...Tint-Dyes.aspx

Attachments

• IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 435
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

From what you can tell from the pic, the pens look great. I've used some of the dyes before and some can be trouble getting a decent pic of the colors.

I really like the idea with the pen press, the black probably makes it easier to locate the parts when assemblying. Seems I am always trying to locate the springs. I might have to use this idea.

If you want feedback on a pen, I'd be happy to look at one for you. But it would be a better deal if you attended a chapter meeting. Then someone could point out what they are seeing. If your not around a chapter, find a member to meet for coffee to overlook pens and whatnot. I'm sure you could also get some advice from local wood stores also.

Phunky_2003

Also, I have had some trouble getting bushing into tubes when using a pen mill. If you take a small file or deburring tool and clean up the inside of the tube they will fit nicely. As far as the segmenting thing goes. I have recently started segmenting and have about 10 - 15 blanks made up. But have no way of accurate drilling at the moment, so I am unsure what could be the troubles.

DurocShark

Looks good from up here.

As for segmented blanks with different density materials, I use my scraper more than sand paper. One hand on the handle and the other on the lower half of the blade, pressing down on the tool rest. That keeps the scraper steady. Only very light sanding afterward.

If it's wood, you can make things easier by soaking in thin CA to bring the densities closer. Sandpaper glued to a scrap of wood can help too, as the wood isn't going to give like your fingers.

Craftdiggity

Your work looks good to me. Maybe you need to file the insides of the tubes a little bit to remove any burrs. You should not have to use a vise to get the bushings in there. What are using to square up the blanks prior to turning? If it's a disc or belt sander, you may be cutting into the tubes and creating burrs.

If no one else will critique your pens, PM me and I'll be happy to take a peek, but I agree with James about finding a turning club to join. You can't beat having local help to give you feedback.

nava1uni

I would use a chamfer tool for deburring the tubes, which make it difficult to put in the bushings. For the sanding you can get an even blank if you use a stiff backer for holding the sandpaper. You fingers will tend to dig into the softer wood while a piece of wood will give you a more even sanding and require only a light touch.
Your pens look nice. I like the pen press.

Last edited:
Top Bottom