Some beginners questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snazzypens

Hi I got some very beginners question.

1. When reading the photography section there is lovely middle band with patterns on it. Where do you get bands and clips with patterns on they are awesome? Or even proper gold or platinum?

2. mentioned alot is CA finish what is that?

3. I have some corn cobs that I love to use I love the look of them. What do I have to do do to colour it? What do I have to do dry it out? what do I have to do finish it?

4. one last question I promise.. What glue do you use to do those segment blanks up?

Thanks for your time
Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

53Jim

2. mentioned alot is CA finish what is that? CA is simply super glue. If you check out the library section there are some articles on different CA techniques.

3. I have some corn cobs that I love to use I love the look of them. What do I have to do do to colour it? Some people use Highliter markers, some use Sharpie markers, some use leather dye. I use artist ink, found at craft stores. What do I have to do dry it out? Depending on how much moisture they have, you could let them sit for a few months, or use a microwave (low heat for 20 seconds, or so).what do I have to do finish it? The corn cobs I have turned have a CA finish on them.

4. one last question I promise.. What glue do you use to do those segment blanks up CA glue (At least that's what I used), but that would probably depend on the type of wood.

I am by no means an expert on pen turning, or finishing, but hopefully these answers I gave will give you a place to start.

Good luck
Jim

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Toni - I'm not sure what centerbands you're talking about, but you should check out some of the US-based suppliers. From the upper left hand of the home page, select "Links" and go to the "Suppliers" section. Each major supplier has different style of pens which include their own stylized centre-bands, clips, finials and nib holders. I bet you LOVE what you find.

its_virgil

Hello Toni,
We like questions and we love to answer them. That's what we're here for...to help each other make better and nicer pens.

Hi I got some very beginners question.

1. When reading the photography section there is lovely middle band with patterns on it. Where do you get bands and clips with patterns on they are awesome? Or even proper gold or platinum?Most all suppliers sell special clips for the slimline pen...baseball bats, Christian fish symbol, golf clubs, rifles, medical symbols and maybe others. The bands with patterns are for use on euro style pens, although they can be used on slimlines if the slimline is fashioned larger than normal. you can find the pattern centerbands (middle bands) at Craft Supplies USA. Look here to see if this is what you were asking about. http://tinyurl.com/r2oqj

2. mentioned alot is CA finish what is that?CA is super glue, krazy glue, instant glue, or chemically Cyanoacrylate glue. Many of us use it for finishing pens and other small turnings. There are a number of finishing methods floating around. I have just written a "How To" for applying CA as a pen finish. My article has not been posted on this site yet (it has been sent in). If you email me back, I will send you the instructions for using CA as a pen finish. I think you'll like the resutls. Some use CA for gluing in tubes but my glue of choice is two part epoxy. Some use CA to help stabilize soft or punky wood and it is applied as we turn. CA comes is three viscosities: thin, medium, and thick.

3. I have some corn cobs that I love to use I love the look of them. What do I have to do do to colour it? What do I have to do dry it out? what do I have to do finish it?Corn cobs for making pens needs to be completely dry. I use cobs from corn purchased for feeding squirrels and other rodents. It is available here from farm stores, feed stores, and discount stores such as Walmart. I suppose cobs from corn that we eat for dinner will work, but it must be dry. Ther is an excellent article in the library for making pens using corn cobs. It is written by Patricial Lawson and is an excellent article.

4. one last question I promise.. What glue do you use to do those segment blanks up?I don't make segmented pens, but most that do use CA glue I think. Maybe two part epoxy is a choice also. There are even some segmented pens instructions in the library

Thanks for your time
Toni
Thanks for your questions. They were excellent questions. We have a few members from down under. Maybe you could find out from them the best way and place to order pen supplies. Some are avaiable to you there and others can be ordered online from over here.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

edited for spelling

Snazzypens

cool thanks they are the exact bands I was talking about. They are gorgeous.

Can you tell me how you finish with superglue. Do you have a website where I can have a look?
Toni

hi toni I use titebond glue to glue wood segments together and titebond polyurethane to glue the brass tubes in the pen blanks. the finishes I use are eee-ultra-shine and shellawax these are made by u beaut polish[:D]all this stuff is avaliable thru carba tec in brisbane.pen kit one of the best range of kits I have found is gpw at currumbin www.gpw.au.com. now for blanks try burls downunder mark is very good or australian burls and wood they have a large range. they will all post stuff anywhere in aus[:)]I also found a bloke at mullumbimbi that has some awsom wood
[8D]I think he has a web site will try and find out and let you know[?]

knottyharry

Hi Toni,
If you look on the home page there is an article about CA Finish.
A word to the wise, wax your mandrel and bushings. Till you get the hang of it, it is easy to glue the bushings to the mandrel.
Not that anyone here has ever done that.
[:(]
I stuck one so bad early on that I had to get a new mandrel and bushings.
Give it a try, just go lightly with the CA till you get the hang of it.
Good luck.
Harry

Snazzypens

thanks Harry I will remember that because I was wondering about that. I am one of those people I stick my finger to the whole ordeal. LOL.
Thanks Toni

Skye

In that case, here's a few more:

Watch your CA. Before you know it it'll pour out of the barrel and onto your hand. Don’t pull it straight off, the shear strength isn’t as good, so pull sideways. I think nail polish remover may take it off you, I haven’t tried it. But, it'll pull off a few layers of skin if you try too hard.

Watch your accelerator. If you have wet glue on your hands, then hit it with the acell, that junk heats up quicklike!

If you have a blank crack while drilling, so then you CA and accelerator it, wait a long while before trying to insert your tubes. I’ve had 2 that got stuck half way because residual accelerator activated with the glue on the tube and froze it half way. Real pain in the butt.

Spray accelerator probably shouldn’t be used for a finish. It’ll cause some problems with the clarity, some people have problems, some people seem blessed and don’t. If you have to use it, get the aerosol version.

Don’t ask me how I know any of this, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom