Soldering Brass Tubes In Rifle Cartridges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

As a follow up to requests about soldering the tube in the cartridge I made a video .
It is eveident that my producing a video has not improved any but I hopefully got my point across. For those that have not tried making a video it is not as easy as it looks.
I must check my camera manual and see if there is a pause function in movie mode because I would like to remove the sections where I am moving the camera and setting it up from one tool to another.
Also , I said I was going to the grinder at one point while I meant going to the sander, I have tried editing that into the video by putting a note on it but have not previewed yet . My internet connection is in one of its slow days.
If there is a way to edit out the areas of camera movement from one stage to the next, maybe someone that has made videos and is more familiar with utube than I am could help me out by explaining how to do it either here, or PM , or email would be fine.
Here is a sneak preview of how it is now and hopefully I will be able to edit and clean it up some before putting it into my videos tutorials board. .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0QblK-xOSk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stevej72

Nice job William. Thanks for doing the video. I use Windows Movie Maker to delete sections of video or put together serarate videos. I think it is a free download.

W.Y.

Nice job William. Thanks for doing the video. I use Windows Movie Maker to delete sections of video or put together serarate videos. I think it is a free download.

Thanks Steve.
I will look into that.

EDIT

Gosh Steve . . . I just went to download Windows Movie Maker and then read the Editors report in this link so I didn't download it.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Movie-Maker-Windows-XP/3000-13631_4-10165075.html

Have you had any of those type of problems with it ?

Last edited:

bdonald

Yeah, you are better off editing it out later, would be a pain for you to have to keep hitting pause, plus you never know what hidden gems will pop up during filming <mistakes to avoid, etc>. Thanks for this William! Very informative, going to try it on my next batch. I'd have loved to see the laquer application though, is it just a spray on or something more involved?

Stevej72

Thanks Steve.
I will look into that.

EDIT

Gosh Steve . . . I just went to download Windows Movie Maker and then read the Editors report in this link so I didn't download it.

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Movie-Maker-Windows-XP/3000-13631_4-10165075.html

I'm not sure what to think, William. It took me awhile to figure out how it works because I am not very good at reading the directions. Once I made several videos, I can do them pretty quickly now. I use the Windows Vista version, but not sure if it is actually any different than the XP version.

I see there are some tutorials on YouTube, but I haven't looked at them yet. Maybe someone else has some input on this program or can recommend a better one.

W.Y.

Yeah, you are better off editing it out later, would be a pain for you to have to keep hitting pause, plus you never know what hidden gems will pop up during filming <mistakes to avoid, etc>. Thanks for this William! Very informative, going to try it on my next batch. I'd have loved to see the laquer application though, is it just a spray on or something more involved?

Bob.
I have tried the spray method but got either runs or orange peel effect . Then went to plan B.
The lacquer dip application is very simple. I just have a jar of gloss lacquer mixed 50/50 with laquer thinner . You may want to adjust that depending on your particular brand of lacquer. It must be thin enough to sheet off.

I do it with the transmission installed but the refill out. One end of an elastic band is looped over the transmission. First I wipe the cartridge with laquer thinner. I dip them just to the top where the transmission meets the cartridge but not onto the transmission and then put the open end of the elastic band over a horizontal dowel to allow the lacquer to dry. It drys very fast at that concentration so extra applications can be done 15 to 20 minutes apart if in a hurry . Usually three dips is enough but sometimes I will do four.
Suppose it should be left overnight to cure but I have had no problems putting the top barrel on within an hour of the last dip

Rollerbob

William O, Nice job on the vide O! Thanks for sharing and don't worry about editing.....it was easy to understand!!

titan2

Bob.
I have tried the spray method but got either runs or orange peel effect . Then went to plan B.
The lacquer dip application is very simple. I just have a jar of gloss lacquer mixed 50/50 with laquer thinner . You may want to adjust that depending on your particular brand of lacquer. It must be thin enough to sheet off.

I do it with the transmission installed but the refill out. One end of an elastic band is looped over the transmission. First I wipe the cartridge with laquer thinner. I dip them just to the top where the transmission meets the cartridge but not onto the transmission and then put the open end of the elastic band over a horizontal dowel to allow the lacquer to dry. It drys very fast at that concentration so extra applications can be done 15 to 20 minutes apart if in a hurry . Usually three dips is enough but sometimes I will do four.
Suppose it should be left overnight to cure but I have had no problems putting the top barrel on within an hour of the last dip

So, you dip the cartridge with the nib installed......correct?

Thanks,

Barney

bdonald

Bob.

Ok, thanks! As Barney asked, so the nib is on? Do you plug the nib up.
On another note, I just clicked on your link at the bottom, and I was disgusted! EVERYTHING on it was awesome, I can only hope to achieve half the quality of what I'm seeing. Not only the pens, but the clocks are gorgeous! I started out in woodworking a couple of years ago with trying to make clocks, so I can really appreciate the work that you put into those. I'm gonna bookmark the site just to see what you make next :) Excellent stuff! Thanks again for all the info, really helps alot.

W.Y.

Yes , I dip them with the nib on . I have not taken pictures of that yet but I will some day when I'm doing some more. It doesn't hurt to have the extra protection of lacquer on the nib. I push the nib into a piece of beeswax before dipping and wipe off the outside . When I put the refill in later it pushes out the wax.

Thanks for viewing my PictureTrail albums site in my link below . That is only a small sampling of my work because Picture Trail charges me $20.00 US a year for that little site. They want $40.00 if I want to add more. Sometimes I have to delete some old ones there in order to put in new ones.

I have tons more pictures than that in Photobucket and it is still free. Just the first main album when I started in Photobucket has over 400 pictures before I started adding more albums. They are in 21 separate albums so far and still growing but I don't provide a link to it because I have family and personal albums in it as well so I have that site locked.

My slogan below refers to the fact that I used to like scrolling but since I started turning I have found turning to be much less stressful and way more profitable . I will never part with my scroll saw because sometimes I incorporate scrolling into my turnings and I still do some commissioned scrolling jobs .

Last edited:

sbell111

Thanks Steve.
I will look into that.

EDIT

Any program that edits video hogs resources. However, if your machine has a good amount of memory installed, you should be fine. Just a few weeks ago, I edited out some parts of an ultrasound videa that my wife wanted to post online. With Windows Movie Maker, it was a quick and easy process.

Top Bottom