Soapwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing a lot about soapwood recently. Can anyone show me what a pen made out of soapwood looks like? I heard that you could get some in Jamaica and my wife and I are going there next month. What can you tell me?
Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

2006627371_DSCN2553.jpg

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Of course the idea came from Ron Mc's pickle pen. I have never heard of soap wood, sorry.
Rob

thetalbott4

The soap is a little proud of the fittings, might want to watch that. You didnt think you would be showered with compliments, did ya?

BigRob777

Arrrrgggghhhhhh!!! I can't think of a joke about dropping your pen in the shower. Actually, it's supposed to be proud, as it wears down a bit after use. [:D]
Don't mean to mess up your post here, but I did look up soap wood and it is also called wood soap. It is used for cleaning soap, it seems, but it is probably a type of wood too.
Rob

Uh oh, my wife's looking for her soap. Gotta go!

jssmith3

Hi Jay, look in Stilgars photo album, you will find a picture of a pen and the wood. You can tell its late, these guys have lost it again. [;)] (you guys are so bad :)
Good luck and if you locate some please share the source.
Thanks,
Janet :)

BigRob777

My deepest apologies, I won't <b>LYE</b> to you, I didn't mean for this to get so <b>SLIPPERY</b>. Let's keep it <b>CLEAN</b>.

I know that elsewhere in this forum, folks are looking for soapwood and it doesn't seem like they are finding it. Someone was asking for it from Australia. Now where's my rubber duckie?

Rob

PS I know the "slippery" one was lame, but I'm running out of puns.

Very punny Rob. Is that what they call a clean gettaway? [:D] Here I was looking for all this useful information on soapwood.......[;)] Actually it was pretty funny.

Thanks jssmith, I'll take a look.
Ya'll take it easy.

woodwish

Here on the Gulf Coast there is a pithy weed-like plant that grows in the salt marshs. At times it bubbles around the joints where new leaves sprout. I have heard the locals call it soapwood but it is no where near big enough to make anything from, just a pithy weed.

OK, so I gave you a serious answer but it was no more help than Rob's and not nearly as funny [^]

Joe Melton

I picked up several blocks of soapwood in Australia last year. It looks sort of like a cross between tulipwood and canarywood, i.e., lots of variegated colors. I've made only one pen from it, and was surprised how plain it looked. That's only one data point, though.
Apparently "soapwood" is a name given to many different trees and shrubs. I found five different species of soapwood in just Australia in a google search, as well as one in Guyana and the US.
The soapwood I have doesn't have any apparent characteristics of soap, in that it is not slippery nor does it have any strong odor. The tree possibly got its name from some characteristic like the leaves becoming slippery when wet.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom