Soapwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jssmith3

Hey Joe, I sent out a request for some of this a while back. Its not easy to get ahold of and it comes from Australia. If you locate a sourse would you let me know?
Thanks,
Janet :)

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
As far as I know, soapwood (Clethra occidentalis) grows exclusively in the Blue Mountains of Jamaica. If memory serves me right it's a small scrub tree and not harvested. Of course, soapwood is also a name the southwest native Americans gave one of the varieties of Yucca, but I don't remember which one. Of course, as with many common names (like ironwood), there could be any number of trees aroud the world with the common name soapwood.

jthompson1995

Based on Lou's listing of the botanical name, you might be able to find a relative of soapwood that is a native shrub here in the nmid-atlantic, summersweet (Clethra alnifolia). I've never had any to work with, but I would fathaom a guess that the properties of the wood would be similar. But you never know. It usually grows in wet areas to 6-8 feet tall. I don't know if you'd find any useable woood from it and I doubt you'd find it for sale commercially.

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom