Soapstone Source

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

I have turned Alabaster but not soap stone, is it any harder or is it softer than Alabaster? and difference in cutting and drilling or Turning?

broitblat

I have turned Alabaster but not soap stone, is it any harder or is it softer than Alabaster? and difference in cutting and drilling or Turning?

Not a scientific analysis, but I have turned a few pieces of each and have not found either to be significantly more difficult, etc. than the other.

YMMV

-Barry

PaulDoug

That is where I have purchased all my soapstone and alabaster. I have received good service from them. Unfortunately I have not see any as pretty as what Rod (Rodneep) has been showing.

RodNeep

I get mine direct from Kenya. I know a local guy who lives in a village where they have a hole on the ground where they dig the stuff out.

The folks in the village make soapstone trinkets and carvings for tourists (although business is somewhat thin for them). I buy from them ready cut into pen blanks, and give them the equivalent of about $2.50 per blank. Putting that into perspective, $1 is enough for a family there to feed themselves for a day, and they are very happy with that price!

The big problem is that I rarely know what colours and patterns of stone I will receive. (I can try asking them for something specific, but they send something different :rolleyes:). Then there is the shipping costs, which are huge! Effectively in total it costs around $9 a piece, (based on buying 30 at a time).

Rod

Rolland

what adhesive do you use to fasten the tubes, i would think the soap stone is porous enough to perhaps a need to give it a coat of thin ca prior to glueing in the tubes. I am getting set up to do a couple of pens in Vermont soapstone and since I have never used this medium thought I might check here firstly.
any help/advise/thoughs would be apprecated

Top Bottom