soaking tubes in coke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

almer

I just watched a video on utube of a gut making a pen on a harris mini metal lathe,he rough sanded tube and then threw it in a cup of coke.When he finished drilling blanks he came back and took tubes out of coke ,didnt dry off,and glued the tubes using polt glue.Does anyone else do this,if so what are the benefits other then moisture to make the glue work.Curious minds want to know.thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Well, the idea is likely that the phosphoric acid in Coke can dissolve and thereby clean the brass...

The issue, however, is that the concentraition of phosphoric, carbonic, and citric acids in a can of coke is so low as to render the process too ridiculously ineffective in the short term situation above...it takes way too long to make any difference in the situation above...

A nail won't dissolve overnight, and the brass in a tube will not dissolve quickly enough to make any difference in the time ti takes to drill a blank...

So I would venture that all he's doing is making his coke taste bad...

Jgrden

Well, the idea is likely that the phosphoric acid in Coke can dissolve and thereby clean the brass...

The issue, however, is that the concentraition of phosphoric, carbonic, and citric acids in a can of coke is so low as to render the process too ridiculously ineffective in the short term situation above...it takes way too long to make any difference in the situation above...

A nail won't dissolve overnight, and the brass in a tube will not dissolve quickly enough to make any difference in the time ti takes to drill a blank...

So I would venture that all he's doing is making his coke taste bad...
It's great for cleaning windshields though.

Wheaties

FYI:

Coke is one-half of a PH away from being classified as a hazardous material!

No wonder it can keep pipes (drain pipes that is) unclogged with occasional use.

Mac

It's great for cleaning windshields though.

I second that
just make sure it is raining hard enough to wash the coke off .
I was told about this about 30 years ago by a truck driver.
I did't believe him though until I was driving along on a delievery route and it started to rain and the truck did't have a washer just wipers and it just smeered so I opened a coke and poured it on, I have been seeing clear eversince!

Fred

Have you ever tried to scrape/chisel those Florida love bugs off your windshield? A freshly opened can of Coke will get them off in record time.

As suggested above, be danged sure that you wash ALL the Coke off otherwise the car finish, paint can be injured.

Wheaties

The pH of the stomach ranges from 1-3.
The pH of Coke is about 2.5.

Gosh, I guess the human stomach is a hazardous material. :eek:

Yep, according to the people that decide what is hazardous it would be. Anything with a pH of 2 or less is classified as just that.

Woodlvr

Whew, I sure am happy that my Diet Pepsi addiction is not going to hurt me since Diet Pepsi PH is only .5:rolleyes::biggrin:

Top Bottom