soaking corn cobs in poly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkoehler

This is probably a dumb question.

I do not have a stabilizing setup ( I am working on it ).
i was wondering if corn cobs would absorb enough poly if i let them soak in it?
I have cut a cob to length for a cigar pen and am hoping that they will just absorb enough poly?

anyone have any ideas about this?

thank you

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Jeff,
I have made about 50 cob pens and none of them were stabilized. The cob pens I've seen from stabilized cobs don't look near as nice as the ones I've seen from non-stabilized cobs. Just go slow, keep the tools sharp and and use CA towards the end. Yea-Yea I know...CA is stabilization, but my remarks refer to the home-brew stabilization and even the commercial stabilization that I've seen done on cobs. Just my thoughts and impressions. A light yellow wash prior to final finish add a little punch. I don't go for the dark dyed cobs, but that is a personal choice thing. Nothing wrong with that look if you like it; nor the stabilization either.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by jkoehler
<br />This is probably a dumb question.

I do not have a stabilizing setup ( I am working on it ).
i was wondering if corn cobs would absorb enough poly if i let them soak in it?
I have cut a cob to length for a cigar pen and am hoping that they will just absorb enough poly?

anyone have any ideas about this?

thank you

Jeff

Skye

Seems CA is the common answer, but I'm wondering about a vacuum setup. Wonder if that would pull the poly into the cob?

clewless

I've tried two that I purchased, and was displeased with both although the 2nd was better. You have to keep them thick to keep the tube from showing through, and doing that requires filling the pores in the kernels with CA. So it was an expensive lesson.

I have a dozen cobs that I picked out of my neighbors field after his harvest and will be trying them next. I believe Pat Lawson recommends treating the hole and ends with CA prior to putting the tubes in. That's the route I'm taking for my next try.

I think some of the success depends on working with fatter cobs. It seems sweet corn will be better that way than field corn...maybe Chapter 2 will be written next summer.
[:)]
Joe

Joe

its_virgil

I actually get my cobs from the local TSC store (Tractor Supply Co). They have 10 lb bags of corn still on the cob that they sell for feeding rodents...er...squirrels. I pick a bag that has fewer broken cobs, and I think this corn is field corn. Different varities have a little bit different cobs and cob patterns. I don't like the "Indian" corn which is the colored corn sold with the shucks still on and used for decorations. Have fun.
do a good turn daily!
Don

Skye

Originally posted by clewless
<br />
I have a dozen cobs that I picked out of my neighbors field after his harvest and will be trying them next. I believe Pat Lawson recommends treating the hole and ends with CA prior to putting the tubes in. That's the route I'm taking for my next try.

I think some of the success depends on working with fatter cobs. It seems sweet corn will be better that way than field corn...

One tutorial I read said that field corn was the way to go and to stay away from sweet. So, that may not be easier. I've never tried eiter yet, so I cant say first hand.

Skye

Probably so.

I believe the way it works is you have the kernels, then the pith, then a spongy core. What you want is for middle of the pith layer to be as close to the ending depth of your turning.

This knowledge was gained by eating corn only, so may not be viable [:p]

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Skye
<br />Seems CA is the common answer, but I'm wondering about a vacuum setup. Wonder if that would pull the poly into the cob?

Yes, A vacuum setup will pull the poly into the cob. one note.... Turn off the "Chaff" or you'll be waiting months for the cob to dry. I have also done it with plexi dissolved in acetone and found that it works better.

If you don't want to bother with the vacuum setup then CA is the way to go.

HTH

laspringer

I cut the cob a little long, drill, put on the lathe and turn the fuzz off, let them soak in a jar of Minwax wood hardner over night.
Next day,let dry,glue in the tubes and then turn to size with light cuts. Finish with CA. I also use field corn for the pens.
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom