So many shapes!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

talbot

I'm very new to pen turning and have only attempted a few slimline pens so far.
It will be a long time before Im turning pens of the quality seen on this forum every day and by so many accomplished members.
Im still also very confused by the variety of shapes, types , models etc of pens and pencils and would like to know if there is a chart available on line that shows all the shapes and design names dimensions etc.
I have tried to find one but havent been able to.
Regards, talbot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

First let me say welcome!!! this is a great place to come and learn. as far as a chart that shows all the different kits and such I don’t think there is one. there is a chart in the library that gives kit names along with drill bit size and bushing info. as far as seeing the different kits I think the best thing to do is go to the different supplier web sites and you can see everything that is out there. not all the suppliers sell the same thing some of them have exclusives on certain kits that you can only get from them so it is important to check them all out. good luck and have fun!!:D:)[8D]

Gordon

Hi - I understand your situation - been there - and I'm still there - in a lot of things.

It can be overwhelming and confusing - what kinda worked for me was to intially concentrate on Craft Supply CSUSA as my primary pen kit supplier and tried a variety of their kits before expanding into other supplier kits.

This a great forum - with some clever and skilled craftsmen - you may be surprised at the variety of pens that can be produced from just a single kit such as slimline.

Again - welcome and good luck

Gordon

rherrell

Welcome Talbot! I don't know about everybody else but the way I found out what shapes to turn was by turning, ALOT, and by making mistakes, ALOT. Personally, I don't like to look through the photo albums for ideas ANY LONGER but I did find it helpful when I was first starting out. Pick out a few that you like and just start turning. You'll get the hang of it.;)

scotirish

Welcome Talbot! :D:D:D
I echo Gordon's statement about picking one supplier to start with. I do not sell my pen's, I give them to my family or keep them myself. ;););) I have kits from all over and bushings from all over, but I started with kits from only one place till I had an idea that I knew what I was doing. [xx(][xx(][xx(] My supplier was "The Woodworkers Store".
Hay, if you screw up :(:(:( so what, use the process as a learning tool. By the way, I still don't have the total picture and am always learning! ;););)
The main thing is to have fun and not let it lose it's flavor! [8D][8D][8D]

talbot

Thank you all for your welcome and responses. I do look at CSU and other US suppliers and will eventually source my kits from US as does another UK member of this forum.
To enable me to make the wide range of pens that you gentlemen make, how many mandrells do I need? I have only one, a 7mm.
Or have I just asked a stupid question?
please excuse my ignorance here.
regards,talbot

Rifleman1776

You question was very appropriate. We have all been there and, in many cases, still are wandering in the land of confusion. There are many kits. Some carry the same name by different suppliers. Some, although identical, carry different names. Some look identical but aren't and have, still yet, other names. Even many of the catalogs are not clearly written and contribute to the confusion. My suggestion is to look at one or two major suppliers and try a couple of their styles. Once you feel that you will be staying with penturning, you can expand. I believe that many problems beginners have is that some want to make everything in all materials all at once. That is costly and, in the end, not profitable.

MarkHix

Howdy!
You might surprise yourself with the learning curve. With just a little practice you will be amazed at what you can do.
As far as the the styles, you can also use the search engine here to look at styles. I have done it each time I wanted to learn a new style and it helped me tremendously. Search by the kit name in Show Off Your Pens. You will get to see alot of takes on the same style in alot of different finishes and materials. Be sure and post pictures for tips. Nobody will laugh and you will get alot of help.

drayman

hi talbot, welcome aboard. if you want decent kits try turners-retreat near blyth notts, not sure if its too far from you but worth a visit, they are very helpful.

Top Bottom