so just turned my 2nd pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

xmaddchillx

Here is my 2nd pen. Purpleheart on a slimline kit . Tried the laquer dipping finish which I am happy with, just need to perfect my technique a little.

Didnt come out so good and has a few errors that are obvious.

1 ) Twist mechanism is in a little far and it doesnt close all the way
2 ) Tubes are a little big and stand proud of the centerband and tip. I think the laquer added a little girth as well.

Trying to remind myself that practice makes perfect!

Attachments

• purpleheart.jpg
    purpleheart.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

Still not too bad for a second try , you should have seen my second pen . Just try to get a better match at the bushings or even better get a caliper and measure everything . As for the transmission , as you press it in stop at the end of the brass part and try the refill then keep adjusting till you get it in the right depth .

xmaddchillx

i stopped at the brass part tested it.. saw i needed to go a tiny tiny bit more so i figure i pushed it in too far after. oh well! Ill have the 3rd done hopefully by wednesday or so. :)

MikeMcM1956

CSUSA makes a 'stop block' that you use to install the transmission on 7mm kits that prevents you from putting it in too far. You could make your own, but it's cheaper to buy it unless you have the rest of the tools....

Mike

ldb2000

www.woodturnerscatalog.com

It don't take any special tools just a piece of PVC pipe and a bandsaw . Make a pen that is the proper length and cut a piece of PVC pipe to that exact length then split it in half on the band saw and you have a stop to help get the transmission set at the correct depth .

Goofy

Looks about like my seconf pen. Lately I've been turning cigar kits and I like them better. But then again, I don't like skinny pens. I likr the cigars because there is plenty of wood left. The slim lines caus you to get the wood down real thin. I chipped a couple out. keep at it, it will get better once you get by the yips.

ngeb528

Not bad at all.

I've accidentally pushed the transmission in too far, myself, with the little bit you have sticking out, try unscrewing the refill a turn or two and it should be fine.

I've also pulled the black cap off the refill and snipped the refill tube a little bit, when I pushed it in way too far. I guess you can use a disassembly tool, as well, but since I just got mine, I haven't tried it out yet.

Keep turnin'

Top Bottom