So, I've got a lot of small corian...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rob73

I have a good load of corian blanks 1/2 x 1/2 and I'm trying to decide what type of pen kit(s) I could use. I don't really produce pens (at this time) for profit, I mostly give them away to friends or family. I mostly got the load of corian since it was economical and will give me some turning practice.

Anyone have any suggestions on what type of kits could be used with a 1/2 x 1/2 x 5 blank that has a decent mechanism & plating suggestions that won't wear down in a week?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

witz1976

Rob you can always glue up 2 pieces to create a 1" blank and open up to other that need the fatter blank. Not too hard, just wipe with acetone, use med or thick CA and clamp in 5 -6 places, let try overnight.

Hess

Is there a large difference in the quality of the slims/comforts from the various vendors?

I have used Smithy's Slims for about 2 years he is by far the best price and always been good to deal with. FYI the more you buy the less the $$

I now stick with the Chrome and gold plate.

Folks seem to like Corian

Where to you get the Corian? if you are an installer do you ever come up with 1/4? I use it in my CarveWright

Rob73

Is there a large difference in the quality of the slims/comforts from the various vendors?

I have used Smithy's Slims for about 2 years he is by far the best price and always been good to deal with. FYI the more you buy the less the $$

I now stick with the Chrome and gold plate.

Folks seem to like Corian

Where to you get the Corian? if you are an installer do you ever come up with 1/4? I use it in my CarveWright

I picked up a box from Jazzncar: http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=74645

I used to have a cabinet place out here that I got scrap wood & corian from but unfortunately with the economy the way it is the foremen I knew got laid off so no more free ride for me ;(

Jazz price however is not expensive I figured it would give me enough blanks to become proficient with pen turning. I originally purchased 300 but The post office totally trashed my boxes so Jazz ended up sending far more than expected to recoup damages... I ended up with 524 blanks.

Now if I only had the money to purchase 500+ kits lol

As for gluing up that thought did cross my mind just was not sure what glue would be used on corian. I've done glue up's for small wood projects but never corian.

Top Bottom