So I am cheep

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

rtparso

Does anyone know if you can rent turning videos over the internet?? It seems like a shame when you buy a video watch it a few times and never watch it again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tnilmerl

Netflix - most of raffan's turning videos and others. Have most in my rental queue already. Just waiting until they are available. My local Woodcraft also rents a bunch. May be a local thing though....

Randy_

Ron: Have you tried your public library?? They may not own the ones you want; but they may be able to borrow them through the interlibrary loan program?? I love the public library!!

gerryr

Is there a local turning club where you live? The club I belong to has at least a couple dozen videos in the library for members to check out.

Why not someone here at IAP post their unused video's and go on the buddy system, pay the postage and return it or send it on to the next person in need. I am sure it would get caught up in someones cupboard, but might be worth a try. I agree with the purchase of video's they are dust collectors after you watch them a couple of times

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Check with Craft Supplies. They used to rent videos. I don't know if they still do this, or the cost.

There is one thing about a video that few people have discovered. It doesn't matter how many times you repeat that first viewing, there are things you will miss because you aren't ready to learn them yet. View the video again after a year and you will be surprized by how many things you missed the 1st time because they didn't relate to your level of experience at the time. We miss that learning experience if we watch once and throw it away.

This is true for any class, whether live or on video, but we can take advantage of our ability to replay a video. If you don't believe me, that means you haven't tried it.

Skye

Originally posted by TerryBlanchard
<br />Why not someone here at IAP post their unused video's and go on the buddy system, pay the postage and return it or send it on to the next person in need.

Both a good and bad idea. Some people make their income by selling these instructional videos. If we just pass them along rather than people buying their own, that kills their buisness. I'm not one to go out and pay for videos, so I'm as guilty as the next, just food for thought.

TomServo

Skye: I don't see the difference between lending videos in the IAP, and your local club having a library of videos and books that gets lent out. Or the public library, etc. It's certainly legal to do so.

Skye

Nobody said it wasnt legal.

Think of it this way. If you made a living on selling pens, would you rather everyone bought one or we just pass one pen around in the mail? It's not a matter of legal or illegal, it's a matter of supporting the people who create the videos.

rtparso

Thanks for all the input. If anyone wants to contact me off line to sell used videos I would be willing to discuss the subject. As for the library, I live in a town of 25,000 and most of the books are greater then 10 years old.

Randy_

Originally posted by rtparso
<br />.....As for the library, I live in a town of 25,000 and most of the books are greater then 10 years old.

Ron: Check with your librarian. They can order titles from other libraries in the system. Even from out of state. I once needed an old book that was relatively rare and it ultimately came from a library about 4 states away. I had to pay a couple of bucks for postage; but it was well worth it!! If you know a title and an author, they will most likely find it for you.

Added Note: Just so happens that I visited the library today and talked to the reference librarian. She said they can't/don't order videos or DVDs, only books so at least some of what I said previously will not be of help. Your library should, however, still be able to get you almost any book that you might desire.

woodmanplus

RT
I get any book or tape that is available at my library. Not every librarian will get books from outside your area. Mine does,but just down the road,in the same county,they say it can not be done. My librarian has even gotten me books from the Smithsonian. I pay her back by having displays at the Library at her request. I have on on the 5th of April.

DocStram

Ron
I'm not interested in selling the few videos that I have. But, I might be interested in swapping videos with you for maybe a couple of weeks. Like, you send me two while I send two to you. We watch each other's videos ... then send 'em back.
Email me if you are interested.

hamonrye

What bothers me is it states on the website that they are a dvd-r or rw. Chances are they a duplicates that have been created from an original. Unless these have been produced by an individual and burned on their home computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom