So far so good!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

So far so good... I've been turning for about what, three weeks now, and I'm learning a bit more every day.

Turned a few bottle stoppers, a dozen or so pens, and various finishes. I love learning new stuff and techniques. And I'm having SUCH a good time.

So far I've learned:
-- Basic pen turning, various styles of kit
-- Acrylic pen finishing
-- bottle stoppers
-- Friction polish (EEE and Shellawax finish)
-- CA finish

I have learned a LOT from you guys and from seeing it done on youtube. Youtube has been a great resource.

I shied away from the lathe since high school, 25 years ago, when I watched one fool mount a 4x4 trying to make a club, and watching that lathe go out of balance and THROWING the 4x4 across the room and into a cinder block wall. (the hole is still there to warn others not to be an idiot)

I hope to try bowls sometime in the future.

So far so good! I wonder what the weekend holds!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TerryDowning

watching that lathe go out of balance and THROWING the 4x4 across the room and into a cinder block wall. (the hole is still there to warn others not to be an idiot)

I hope to try bowls sometime in the future.

I just had a 4" bowl shatter on me during the final pass, (I waited months for this thing to dry out) the gouge caught a natural edge opening in the side of the bowl and it came apart. Fortunately the only damage was to the bowl. (Missed me by that much ||) Oak shatters at speed! Lathes are known to throw things whether an idiot is using it or not just be careful and never stand in the line of fire. Oh, and always wear a face shield (just in case).

Terry

tim self

So far so good... when I watched one fool mount a 4x4 trying to make a club, and watching that lathe go out of balance and THROWING the 4x4 across the room and into a cinder block wall. (the hole is still there to warn others not to be an idiot)

Mine was a 3x3 and it went through a window!!:eek: Someone talked me into turning the lathe up. I was Mr. Mulligan's "Joeblow".:redface:

Top Bottom