So done with pine cone PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Well I was pushed into making my boss's boss a pine cone PR JR Gent II pen. I really didn't want to but that's what he wanted along with two PR keychains and a PR cigar. Well this must have had a huge pine cone in it as the upper section which I was done turning was almost all pine cone all the way around. I kept my tools sharp, even stopped a couple times while working on the cap end to sharpen, and still the end ripped off on me. I was going to try to repair it, but the thing was glued so well to the tube when trying to get it off of there it ended up breaking the tube open. This is the second time I have had issues. I just am some what venting here only because I allowed someone to push me into turning something I knew would be a pain in the butt lol. Anyways, lesson learned. I am done with any PR pine cone blanks. I emailed him in hopes he will be cool with me using the other part for a key chain and then doing the pen in box elder burl blue.

Thanks for reading.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

I've always had to stop every so often to soak the cone core with CA to harden it up. You get a smoother turn and way less chance of tearout. Try some more cones on small giveaway projects before commiting to a big job like that, maybe you can get your bragging rights back. :)

ToddMR

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

That made me laugh Neil hehehehe. I did end up turning a very nice looking keychain. I will post pictures after a while. I am worn out with turning today. Did 3 key chains and have two pens to finish by end of tomorrow.

fyrcaptn

pine cone

I'm with you. I had four pine cone blanks. If they are the last ones I see I'll be fine with that. Weren't mine, didn't want them, didn't want to mess with them. But, I bowed to external pressures; something that's not common for me anymore.
I got one turned. Wasn't thrilled with the result, and won't even claim a 1 in 4 'victory' rate.
I was doing pretty well with the third one - even thought maybe this isn't so bad - right up until... ( and yep in retrospect I think I rushed so we know where the fault lies)
I used a lot of ca on the last two. Now I wonder if I used enough-

I've been turning pinecones for about 4 years and haven't found (yet) a good way to stabilize a cone blank other than soaking with CA. As everyone who has turned a cone has learned, patience and sharp tools are a must!

workinforwood

I have turned dozens of pine cones and sold probably over a hundred of them through Dawn/Ed and I never broke one yet and haven't heard of any issues from sold ones. I cast mine in Alumilite and I am a very aggressive turner. I use a carbide rotondo tool when turning. I don't know what everyone else is using, but it's all working for them too. I have not ever stopped the lathe and soaked them in CA either. Just drill, glue in painted tubes with epoxy and spin away. Sometimes after I spin one I have to do a little repair work on the outside, where maybe a seed pulled out, but that's about it..easy enough.

PR is a different beast as are natural un cast cones, but the ones in Alumilite..never had an issue.

LarryDNJR

I might have to try out one of those Alumilite Pine Cones one of these days just to see for myself. Been thinking about giving them a shot.

ToddMR

It will probably be something I come back to at another time. I know I am not perfect and so really I am sure the fault is mine. Just frustrating to have 2 different ones have the same failure. So for sanity sake, namely mine, for now, no thank you. :)

Jgrden

I have turned dozens of pine cones and sold probably over a hundred of them through Dawn/Ed and I never broke one yet and haven't heard of any issues from sold ones. I cast mine in Alumilite and I am a very aggressive turner. I use a carbide rotondo tool when turning. I don't know what everyone else is using, but it's all working for them too. I have not ever stopped the lathe and soaked them in CA either. Just drill, glue in painted tubes with epoxy and spin away. Sometimes after I spin one I have to do a little repair work on the outside, where maybe a seed pulled out, but that's about it..easy enough.

PR is a different beast as are natural un cast cones, but the ones in Alumilite..never had an issue.
When you cast them in Alumilite, all the issues are gone. Nothing left but to turn it. Y'need to have fun and do it raw.

Top Bottom