So do you think that I am nuts for making Slimline's out of tru-stone & M3 metal

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marker

Do you think That making slimline pens using tru-stone, and m3 metal pen blanks, is too expensive?

Well there is a secrete of how I keep the cost down.

First of all I like to make a slimline pen out of something, and a slimline pencil out of the same material to match it.

Here is an old picture of a pen that I made using a 3/4"x5" m3 metal pen blank.....

022 (12).JPG

Still think that this is too expensive to work with??

What do you think that it cost me to make this out of a 3/4"x5" m3 metal pen blank???

It cost me only about $12.

Here are some pictures of some pens and pencils that I made using 3/4" tru-stone blanks .

016 (12).JPG

004 (11).jpg

006 (9).jpg

What do you think it cost me for the tru-stone for each pen or pencil???

About $4 each using new (not 2nd's) 3/4" blanks, I believe That bought them from Exotic blanks.

I bet they don't remember selling them to me that cheap....

The truth is that I make two of these pens or pencils using one 3/4"x5" pen blank...

using one blank allows me to get a perfect match for a pen and pencil set.

Anyone want to know how I make two of these pens or pencils out of one 3/4"x5" pen blank???

I am in the process of making about 100 slimline pen and pencil sets. 200 pieces, using only 100 3/4"x5" pen blanks.

Want to see how I do it?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Cutting a blank diagonally down the middle would be the first step....
I used to buy my resin blanks in the uncut 3 blank blocks and sometimes used that method to get 6 thinnish pens from it. Works fine but a pain to drill. :)

08K.80

Cutting a blank diagonally down the middle would be the first step....
I used to buy my resin blanks in the uncut 3 blank blocks and sometimes used that method to get 6 thinnish pens from it. Works fine but a pain to drill. :)

Why not drill it first, then cut it?

wouldentu2?

No I don't want to know because then I will have to add it to my already "Too long and not enough time" list. What the heck maybe I'll forget all about it.

gbpens

Cutting on the diagonal using a 3/4" blank is an economical way of producing a matched set of slimline pen/pencil. I have used that technique with stabilized box elder burl. After allowing for the width of the saw kerf this technique yields a half inch blank which is plenty of width for a slimline pen or pencil. Thanks for sharing.

gdurfey

I like it as the customer doesn't know the cost of hardware. I think slim is overlooked, but again, that is about all I do as a noob! I have enough money in slim kits. Thanks for the tips as many of my wood blanks end up in the dust pan.

ChristyW

Anyone want to know how I make two of these pens or pencils out of one 3/4"x5" pen blank???

I am in the process of making about 100 slimline pen and pencil sets. 200 pieces, using only 100 3/4"x5" pen blanks.

Want to see how I do it?

I'd like to know...any luck you're going to reveal your secret?

BJohn

I will watching for your answer, but I bet the diagonal cut is the answer.

And the answer to the hole issue was mentioned (drill before cutting) what are the thoughts there?

Top Bottom