So close, but!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Feeling proud until:( Some exotic burl that I got in a trade. Very oily and tender.

2008118222859_blowup1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Put it back on the lathe and add a reddish, blackish or dark brown wood ring to it. It might look good with a ring on each end to balance it. That is what got me into my first segment. Looked so good that I started adding segmented ends on purpose. That is too nice to through away or just set aside. For me, I set mine aside for a couple of months until I found just the right colors to add on.

mrcook4570

Lee has good advice. Another option, if that is a slimline, would be to just trim it down a little. The length on the slimline is not that critical. There is about 1/8" difference between PSI and Berea slimline tubes.

R2

Good advice Lee.
I remember teaching a friend to turn pens. He made a "mistake" and considered that he'd ruined his very first pen. My advice to him was to make a feature of the mistake. after a few minutes thought he got back to work and the result was a great slimline that he presented to his wife.
BTW that is some nice burl! :)[:p]

jeffj13

I kinda like the angle that it broke of at. I might be tempted to take some dark sanding dust and just fill that area using dust and CA.

jeff

rherrell

If you need the practice go ahead and put an "oops" band on it. If not, trash it. I used to save ALL my mistakes hoping one day to find some magical fix. Never found one. Ended up tossing a BIG container of "oops" blanks

Top Bottom