So close!! Acrylester blow out

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

I was down to the last 1/8" or so before switching to sanding and the heal of the skew caught near the end of the blank. Think I'm still going to finish turning and sanding the rest of the blank just for the experience. This was a 1st attempt at acrylester. And it was going so well too...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I use a 3/4" roughing gouge used like a skew. Way more forgiving. Then I finish using a skew like a scraper to smooth out any ridges and clean up the areas closest to the bushings.

KenV

Keep practicing -- the skew is controlable but it does take care --

And sharpen/hone when you get close. A fresh edge avoids catches. A tool that "could be sharper" and pushing hard is the cause of many many catches.

Did I mention that fresh sharp edges avoid catches (but cannot avoid dumb moves).

LagniappeRob

Attempt #2...

Took it slower with little bitty cuts. Used the 3/4 round gouge until I got back to the point about where I was before (1/8 or so from where I would've switched to sandpaper) and switched to 320 grit to get the shape done. Then 400 and 600 followed by MM. Much happier this time. :biggrin:

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• IMAG0928-small.jpg
    IMAG0928-small.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 165

KenV

Looking good ---

If you are looking for tool practice -- Make some pens for vets -- and turn 5-10 in a run. Your tool handling will likely get better prettty fast.

BSea

Of course there is nothing wrong with an OOOPS ring for the 1st blank. Just part it off the blow out & glue a coordinating color to get the size you need. You might also do a matching ring on the opposite side.

Top Bottom