snap cap assembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

george

Hello !

I purhcased few AMERICANA pen kits, and only now realised that they have snap-on system. Since I dont have cap adjuster tool, I read that Philpis screwdriver #1 or #2 can be used. Can someone please tell me what is widht of this types of screwdrivers ? I would not want to damage plastic cap, but I must push or screw the plastic cap deeper in the cap. At the moment I have quite loose fit between cap and handle (also little space left between).

I guess I will stay with threaded systems in the future. I bet they last much more longer, but I would like to made 4 purchased sets as they supposed to be made.

Is it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

It's been quite a while since I made one of these but I think a #2 Phillips works best and it works even better if you grind some off the tip, maybe a 1/16". I personally think the snap caps are vastly superior to the alternative which is metal to metal coarse threads that un-screw in you pocket. In fact they should come with a guarantee prominently displayed: WARNING: This pen is guaranteed to un-screw in your pocket thereby causing ink to leek all over your shirt and ruin it."

george

I see that other feels different about plastic cap snap. Like said, this is my first snap cap, and speaking only from experiences with other plastic materials, i assumed that screw system are better since plastic usualy dont last for long time.

redfishsc

I used to make this kit until I realized that the snap cap was brittle and easily shattered, something to which one of CSA's head honchos admitted to me over the phone (and just why they do not do something about it is so far beyond me it's not even funny).

This is a very nice kit aside from the poor snap reliability.

I use a Torx screwdriver to adjust the snap cap if needed, but that's simply because I had a set of Torx drivers handy and they bite the inside of the snap better than a phillips.

stevers

I love the snap cap Americana's. They work great for me. And I also do some of the screw cap pens. So I know the differences.

I made my own tool. It was simple and took a few minutes. And the size is easy to figure out. When it went in and turned the plastic piece, it was good. Here is a couple of shots of it.

200842541721_cap%20adj600.jpg

200842541846_cap%20adj.jpg

george

Thank you all for opinions. It helped, specialy photos of tool. I have made something similar and it works. Now Im also not afraid to offer snap-on caps to customers, since some of you had good experiences with it. Thanks again

Originally posted by redfishsc

I used to make this kit until I realized that the snap cap was brittle and easily shattered, something to which one of CSA's head honchos admitted to me over the phone (and just why they do not do something about it is so far beyond me it's not even funny).

This is a very nice kit aside from the poor snap reliability.

I like the looks of the finished kit, but like the Redfish said I've had trouble with the caps either stripping the threads in the cap, letting the snap cap fall out, or having the break and not fitting.. my conculsion is that it's really a poor design overall, so I don't make them any more.

redfishsc

Lol, Chuck even the upper echelons of CSA agree with us on the design.

But here's the real problem: it's such a pleasure to use and write with. I carried one made of tulipwood for several months-- a fountain pen-- that I loved! What a great pen-- smaller diameter, nice weight, nice shape.

Then the snap on it broke[V] and it was a BEAR to fix.

Then the rhodium pitted on it and I sent it back to CSA, along with a couple hundred bucks worth of other rhodium and ti-gold kits. To their credit, they happily refunded them and "researched" the pitting.

Top Bottom