Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sub Vet 10

I have been tasked to make a snakewood pen. I have heard nothing but horror stories with it, even post-production.
I searched through the forum and only found references to cost; so I could use some advice/tips for using snakewood.

Thanks y'all.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
The 3 most important things that you can do are:
1) Let the wood stabilize after drilling. If you drill a hole for the tube, do not glue it in right away. You will notice that after a day or so, if the tube was a loose fit, it will become tighter. File or drill out the hole for a loose fit and let it sit again. Repeat the process until the tube is loose for several days. Then you can glue it in.
2) Do not press the fittings into the tubes. Either ream out the tube or file down the fittings such that they are a slip fit. Then glue them in.
3) When drilling or turning use very sharp tools and do not let the wood get too hot.

Follow these 3 and your chances of cracking are minimized.

fiferb

I agree with Bruce. One more thing I'd add, after you turn to final size, allow them to sit for a few days. Since the wood is now at its thinnest, any stress in the wood may now move and cause it to crack. If you wait to put on a finish, you can fill any crack with sanding dust and CA and you won't even notice the fix.

Lee Foreman

Snakewood is one of my favorite, have made several pens using it. Never had a problem.....didn't know you had to be that careful. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Lee

Perl

Ok feel a little better now. I made my first out of snake wood a couple of months ago. No problems drilling, turning, finishing etc. Put it up in a case all safe and sound. Pulled it out to show someone a couple of weeks later and it had a huge crack all the way through it from one end to the other. This has never happened before with any other pen, was kinda wondering what happened, but from reading the previous posts, i guess this wood is prone to this. Oh well, live and learn. Once again the forum proves very helpful for me. Thanks.

Top Bottom