Snakewood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark4583

I havent used any of this wood yet, I have a customer that wants some work done with it.
Seems like about $10.00 per blank is best I can find for some nice looking wood, Any one know a supplier that might be better?
Any thing I need to know about this wood before I start to work with it?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Yes, it will crack. When it will crack is not a given, but in the vast majority of cases it will crack.

Do a standard search on snakewood, being sure to check the box for archived posts and you will find a plethora of information.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Sounds about right for the cost. But be prepared for the pen to develop cracks as long as several months after you finish the pen.

gerryr

Cracks are possible, maybe even probable, but they are definitely not guaranteed. I've made only 3 pens from Snakewood, but none of them have cracked. Lou made a baron from Snakewood quite a long time ago and it hasn't cracked either, I believe.

LanceD

I have a Jr Gent made a little over a year ago with a snakewood blank bought from Chitswood and it hasn't cracked. It was one of his blanks that he advertised as one "guaranteed" not to crack or your money back.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've made and sold over two dozen snakewood pens. I give the customer a warranty yet have never had one returned due to cracking. That being said, a few years back I had a horse kick me in the posterior and I believe the horseshoe is still wedged up there. [8D]

Fred

One of the easiest ways to have one crack on you is to get it hot while working it to finished size. Use extremely sharp tools, keep them sharp, and don't work the wood so hard or fast that you build up heat inside the wood. Short and light strokes will be best with this species. Especially in sanding ... very light sanding and shortened times with the paper will be another tip ... TAKE YOUR TIME! [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom