Snakeskin Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I had never seen a snakeskin blank till today. I have a couple sets ordered from Ed but have not gotten them yet. But I did buy a set of cobra cigar from ebay.Got them today. My Question is the seam where the skin overlaps always so noticable? I wish my camera took close pictures. But The seam is a black line and a high ridge.Looks very very noticable. Like I said I have never seen a skinblank so I cant compare it to anything. I hope to get the ones from ED and Dawn next week to compare. I really dont think theres will look like this. The guy willreplace thembut I just want to make sure that these are bad.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
"Bad" is relative. Dawn spends a lot of time "hiding" seams - I think those who have purchased her work will chime in.

But that's WHY the skins are frequently out of stock. We have a kitchen FULL of snakeskins - truly DOZENS!! But, she won't slop them into a pen and get them out. Each pen takes over half an hour to prepare the tube (the skins have already undergone several steps of coatings that require days of drying time), then glue the skin to the tube. Then, the casting process is also "multi-step" as you have recently read in the thread that Roy and Don were explaining alll the pitfalls.

Also, if you got it on ebay, it may not be Polyresin. I got interested in skins when I bought a bunch of pen blanks, from another supplier. I turned the blanks, but could not get the shine I like. To make a long story MUCH shorter, the resin was NOT PR. I don't know what it was but it did not take a shine. Looked a little "dull" to me. So, I "encouraged" Dawn to make a PR version that was superior to these. That's how "exoticblanks" was born.

For those who see this as "Too much information", you are probably right!!!

Thanks to those of you who read it!

Russianwolf

it depends on several things.

1) type of snake. the skin thickness of some snakes is pretty thick, which can make the seam stand out more.

2) type of cut. Glimmerz (likely where you got the Cobra from) uses a straight cut. I believe Dawn (I haven't asked her to confirm this) uses seamstress shears which make a zigzag cut. The zigzag does a better job of hiding the seam especially in skins with a lot of pattern.

3) Color of skin. I have about 6 of Glimmerz blanks in Cobra and Python. Some colors show the seam more than on other colors.

4) pattern. The Cobra doesn't have a lot of pattern to it. the scales are large and prominent. You're going to notice the change at the seam more on a skin like that.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

Dawn uses a very sharp, tiny scissors to follow the natural pattern. Every snake is different. And some "don't make the cut" when she is finished.

Woodlvr

Rich yours is probably from Glimmerznmore, they are great to honor their word. I buy my mine from members since it helps out friends, get help with any problems thaqt I might have (alot) and faster delivery usually, except when Ed is bothering Dawn so that she cannot get her work done.:tongue::biggrin:
Mike, we know Ed could not cut a straight line so Dawn has to do it.:eek:

RDH79

Snakeskins

Yes thats whereI got them Glimmerznmore Like I said I had nothing tocompare them to. I have $20 in them and willcost another $5 to exchange and the exchaged might be just the same.So I dont know what to do.Will have to think about it. Thanks for the replys Rich H

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Gina at Glimmerznmore was, as far as I know, the first source for snakeskins. She does a good job and is a wonderful person to deal with. But her seams always were straight lines - the "conventional wisdom" used to be -- put the seam under the clip, where it won't be seen!! I never understood what happens to the part that extends BEYOND the clip.

But, that's just me.

In short, yes, Rich, Dawn's are different. (In several ways)

jttheclockman

If it really bothers you and you have no other choice you may want to highlight it by putting in a piece of thin brass the length of the blank. Can do that to both sides and it looks like it belongs. Or someother inlay such as a glitter. Just thinking out loud.

Top Bottom