snake skin casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Here is a picture my latest snak skin casting. Comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
tn_snake%20skin%20cast.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Polyester resin from http://mrfiberglass.com/polyester_resins.html
Silmar 41 Clear Casting Polyester Resin

Polyester resin cures quickly. It will be jelled in 30 minutes, hard but pliable in maybe an hour or so. I pour them in the evening, demold the casting the next morning, and cut up the slab into individual blanks that evening. I have cast and turned a pen the same say. More catalyst will harden quicker but the cast will be brittle. Less catalyst cures a little slower, but produces a better product IMHO. I'm turning a pen from one of the slimline blanks now and maybe a picture later this evening.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Charles
<br />Looks Really nice. Is that just clear casting resin? With a mold that size how long did it take to cure?

myname1960

Did you use a pressure pot?

Which pens are these casting going to be used for?

When preparing the blanks for the skins is there a certain diameter under the finished pen diameter that should be held so the skins wont be turned away or cut into when finishing them?

Deere41h

Don...Did you use corks to keep the PR out of the tubes? Is that what I see? Did it work under pressure and were you able to pull the corks out or did you cut them off and drive them out.

its_virgil

John,
Corks is what you see. They have worked three times for me and three times for Jay...100% success..not a drop of leakage into the tubes. They are not salvagable. Cut them close and push out the other end. What a find![:D]
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />Don...Did you use corks to keep the PR out of the tubes? Is that what I see? Did it work under pressure and were you able to pull the corks out or did you cut them off and drive them out.

its_virgil

myname1960,
These you see are tubes for 1 each gent and baron, two sierras, and 3 slimline tubes. I make slimlines with snake on top and wood on bottom. I don't like slimlines with snake skin on top and bottom.

They were cast under pressure...40psi

To answer your third question, I try to make pens whose wood thickness is greater than the skin I have to work with. Thin walled (finished wood thickness) pens have not worked for me...such as the El Grande and Ligero. The baron has been good, the cigar works fine, slimlines cut fatter than normal work as does the jr gent, and jr statesman. This will be my first gent. Search the suppliers who sell snake skin blanks and see what they are selling. Those are the ones that the guy who makes them thinks will work. The blanks for the El Grande are offered, but I have not had any luck at all casting them. I will try again some day.

Here is a picture of a slimline I made this evening from one of the blanks in the cast I just showed.

20061304441_Black%20Mesq%20snake%20skin.jpg
<br />

Originally posted by myname1960
<br />Did you use a pressure pot?

Which pens are these casting going to be used for?

When preparing the blanks for the skins is there a certain diameter under the finished pen diameter that should be held so the skins wont be turned away or cut into when finishing them?

Edited to swap for a better picture.

Darley

Really good Don, I see that you choosethe 40psi I leave mine for 10 minutes and woork well, but now run out of tube and Barons, I turn the last one yesterday for my daughter Birthday next month, tell me how many bottle of wine do you have to drink for all those pens[:D][:p]

its_virgil

Thanks Serge. Jay has dropped the pressure to 30psi (I think) and it worked great. I usually cast in the evening and just leave them alone, but I have romoved the pressure after 20 minutes or so and all was fine. As soon as the resin jells the bubbles will be kept small. I really like what we are onto with this pressure thing. I hope your pot arrives soon. Don't think Anthony has received it yet from HF.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />Really good Don, I see that you choosethe 40psi I leave mine for 10 minutes and woork well, but now run out of tube and Barons, I turn the last one yesterday for my daughter Birthday next month, tell me how many bottle of wine do you have to drink for all those pens[:D][:p]

myname1960

Doing some searching on the sites that sell the blanks i found 2 that carried snakeskin blanks. I am sure there are others but i stopped at these 2.

One was the arizonasilhouette site which had sells the rattlesnake blanks for at least 14 different types of pens. El Grande and slimlines included.

Another site was the Glimmersnmore site. They have 5 different type of skins for 5 different styles of pens. They say that the rattlesnake skins doesnt work well for the slimlines due to their "texture". They do however make skin blanks for the slimlines from the Cobra, Whip Snakes, and Python skins.

Well at least you can make them or have them made for many differnt type of pens so we arent limited to one or 2 pen styles.

I am now waiting for someone to try to make snakeskin bottlestoppers. It would probably go something like this:

1)Turn the stopper undersize.
2)Glue a skin to some pantyhose making sure its very wet.
3)Before the glue totally sets you stretch the snakeskin laced pantyhose over the stopper blank.
4)When the glue has totally set you place the stopper in some clear casting resin.
5)Place the stopper in a pressure pot and follow your usual directions.
6)After the resin hardens you begin the finish turning process.
7)Sand and polish the bottlestopper to your liking.

There you go a snakeskin bottlestopper.

Maybe i should patent that method before someone else does [:D]

On a serious note thanks for the info.

Chris

its_virgil

Maybe I should email glimmersnmore some pictures of slimline rattlesnake pens.[:D]

Woodturningz.com sell rattlesnake blanks, but I'm not sure for which pens.

The bottle stoppers could be done just like you outlined...sans the pantyhose. The skin can be glued right to the turned piece of wood (if it is cylinder) and then the PR cast over it. The PR could then be turned to the desires profile. Don't know about gluing the skin to a non-cylindrical shape. It is not very elastic. Give it a try. I'm not into bottlestoppers, yet!

do a good turn daily!
don

<br />Doing some searching on the sites that sell the blanks i found 2 that carried snakeskin blanks.
One was the arizonasilhouette site which had sells the rattlesnake blanks for at least 14 different types of pens. El Grande and slimlines included.

Another site was the Glimmersnmore site. They have 5 different type of skins for 5 different styles of pens. They say that the rattlesnake skins doesnt work well for the slimlines due to their "texture".

Well at least you can make them or have them made for many differnt type of pens so we arent limited to one or 2 pen styles.

I am now waiting for someone to try to make snakeskin bottlestoppers. It would probably go something like this:

1)Turn the stopper undersize.
2)Glue a skin to some pantyhose making sure its very wet.
3)Before the glue totally sets you stretch the snakeskin laced pantyhose over the stopper blank.
4)When the glue has totally set you place the stopper in some clear casting resin.
5)Place the stopper in a pressure pot and follow your usual directions.
6)After the resin hardens you begin the finish turning process.
7)Sand and polish the bottlestopper to your liking.

There you go a snakeskin bottlestopper.

Maybe i should patent that method before someone else does [:D]

On a serious note thanks for the info.

Chris

myname1960

Hey i was kidding about the stoppers and the pantyhose. Oh i am sure someone will figure out a way on this site.

If they can make a pen out or rice, toothpicks, corncobs and other materials i think this project is within the grasp of the great minds here [:D]

myname1960

By the way has anyone here thought of doing a turorial of sorts from start to finish the making of a snakeskin pen. I know there is a bunch of info on the site concerning this topic but its all over the place. Just a thought.

Chris

myname1960

Thanks clewless and i have that article. That shows some snakeskins but doesnt actually show the process of working with the skins themselves. This article is excellent for showing how to get them ready for the casting process.

I was hoping to see an article on how the process of actually preparing the skins from the start to the finished product. That could include measuring the skins for the blanks, glueing them on and then after the casts are finished the cutting and sanding of the blanks and any other pointers the author had. Again i do thank you for pointing out the embedding article.

Chris

Darley

<br />
I was hoping to see an article on how the process of actually preparing the skins from the start to the finished product. That could include measuring the skins for the blanks, glueing them on and then after the casts are finished the cutting and sanding of the blanks and any other pointers the author had. Again i do thank you for pointing out the embedding article.

Chris

Well mate that will cost you few coldies,if you want know everythings[:D][:p]

Darley

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I really like what we are onto with this pressure thing. I hope your pot arrives soon. Don't think Anthony has received it yet from HF.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Yes and we can't do anything Anthony and I for this pot,just wait but 1 day he will turn up, wait for the baron kits as well as BB run out, love this kit, tonight will turn an Jr St VII after the mango, talk to you Wednesday for me and Tuesday for you.

myname1960

Now tell me where to send the coldies and we might have a deal [:D]

Ok i dont need to know everything. You can keep the parts where you get the skins a secret and ummm the kits to use. I would like to hear the rest.

Ok i guess a newbie cant catch a break here but hey i tried.

I guess i will send the little rattling fellas back on their merry way. By the way where can i get a snakebite kit from [xx(]

Chris

its_virgil

It is no secret. It has been discussed here often. Basically, cut the skin to a rectangle...averlab the seaam about 1/16. Do not try to do a butt joint! Glue the skin to the tube. I use CA. Others have reported using white or yellow glue. Cast using the method in Jay's article on the home page, Anthony's two cast process in his article, or devisee a method of your own and we owe you some coldies.

I get skins from sdsnake.com

If we ever meet, I'll collect on those coldies. You'll need to go down under to take Serge's(Darley) to him, Mate.

Our search feature on this site works great. If you do a search on snake skins or polyester resin casting you will have enough reading to last a few days.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by myname1960[/i]
<br />Now tell me where to send the coldies and we might have a deal [:D]

Ok i dont need to know everything. You can keep the parts where you get the skins a secret and ummm the kits to use. I would like to hear the rest.

Ok i guess a newbie cant catch a break here but hey i tried.

I guess i will send the little rattling fellas back on their merry way. By the way where can i get a snakebite kit from [xx(]

Chris
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom