Snake Blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

All my attempts (2 times [:D]) ended up in a disaster. [V]

I just got a big piece through a trade here...but cannot get myself to cut it and try any pens...YET.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Exactly what is the problem? Is it shattering during turning or what? The few I've done have been very brittle and it helps to round off the edges on a belt sander prior to turning.

alamocdc

Light cuts and scary sharp tools. Yes, it may take longer, but the result is worth it. You can't just mussle your way through a synthetic blank. In fact, I can't seem to mussle my way through any blank without ruining it. Take your time.

Oh, and use a round nose scraper. It'll save your skin. Pun intended.

53Jim

I have turned 1 snake blank and had a minor blowout. I glued the vacationing piece back home and continued. The clip covered the accident.

I sold the pen for $50.00.

EXTREMELY SHARP TOOLS and light cuts. Also, as stated before, round the edges with a sander before turning.

Good luck.

DocStram

Hey Alan, tell us a little more. When you say "disaster", what exactly do you mean? What tools were you using? How far did you get in turning it? How fast was the lathe turning? What do you recall happenind immediately prior to the disaster? Details, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom