Snake blank illustration

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

I've been wanting to show this for some time and decided to do it today as I was turning a cigar snake. The curved surface of the finished pen actually magnifies the skin pattern... These two blanks were taken from adjacent pieces of skin so the blotches are the same size. Look at the half blotches at the center and imagine them being the same size...they are! But, look now much larger the blotches look under the resin of the jinished half compared to the non turned blank. Just thought this was interesting.

20061272272_snake%20illustration.jpg

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Okay Mr. Math Teacher, but can you explain WHY?

Same way a convex lens magnifies an object?

Just taking a stab at an answer. [:)]

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
It is similar to the way objects are magnified under water. Since the refractive index of water, and in this case clear acrylic, is greater of that than air, the object is magnified.

It's OK, Paul, you can stay. [;)]

JimGo

Note that Don hasn't replied! [:D]

Just giving you a hard time Don!!!! That's an excellent illustration. It's amazing how the skin seems to grow to meet the size of the blank!

its_virgil

I typed out a reply to Mudder's response earlier. I thought I posted it, but guess not. I think Mudder is correct in the convex lens comment...kinda like a magnifying glass. Just the resin itself doesn't distort the blotches...but once turned and polished the curved surfaced does its magic. I just thought this would be an interesting study...especially for those who have never turned these snake skin pens.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
<br />Note that Don hasn't replied! [:D]

Just giving you a hard time Don!!!! That's an excellent illustration. It's amazing how the skin seems to grow to meet the size of the blank!

its_virgil

You very carefully and safely harvest the skin or purchase it. Me...I purchase it.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by dozuki
<br />you make me want to try casting resing. I love the snake skin. How do you get the skin without having to go to the hospital.
Paul

M

Mudder

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by arioux
<br />What ????

Someone have found a way to cast water?[:0]

Alfred

Odd, I would think a Canadian would know about ice!![:D]

Ouch! [:0]

Don't know how one of them Ice pens would hold up in the shirt pocket.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
Originally posted by arioux
<br />What ????

Someone have found a way to cast water?[:0]

Alfred

Odd, I would think a Canadian would know about ice!![:D]

Ouch! [:0]

Don't know how one of them Ice pens would hold up in the shirt pocket.

There has to be an ex-wife joke in there somewhere. [:0][}:)][:0]

its_virgil

I've been on a cruise since last Sat morning(the 9th) and have just returned home(today---the 16th).

Skye: I've not found another source of snake skins, but if I do I'll let everyone know.

Serge: I'll post a picture later tonight or tomorrow. I'm exhausted from 7 days of cruising and scuba diving in Cozumel and Belize. [:D][8D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Originally posted by Darley
<br />
Originally posted by Mudder
<br />
<br />Okay Mr. Math Teacher, but can you explain WHY?

Same way a convex lens magnifies an object?

Just taking a stab at an answer. [:)]

Correct Mudder, same as magnified glass, good on you Don, do you have a photo of the finished pen?

Darley

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I've been on a cruise since last Sat morning(the 9th) and have just returned home(today---the 16th).

Serge: I'll post a picture later tonight or tomorrow. I'm exhausted from 7 days of cruising and scuba diving in Cozumel and Belize. [:D][8D]

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Lucky you, I'm sure you're very exhausted on a diving cruise[:D][:p] did you got some Coral snake by any chance? [:D][}:)] I have my PADI
licence but as been 10 years I didn't dive, mabe 1 day.

Edit: awesome & [8D]

its_virgil

I saw lots of (coral)reef fish, dived with the nurse sharks and stingrays of "Shark-Ray Alley" on the barrier reef off the coast of Belize. No coral snakes[:D]...I wanted to purchase some sea creature skins but that's a no no with the custom's dept. didn't want to spend Christmas in jail! I did find some large conch shells from which the locals had harvested the conch and tossed the shells back into the ocean. One was really large and quite nice and it is now on my desk by the computer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Darley
<br />
Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />I've been on a cruise since last Sat morning(the 9th) and have just returned home(today---the 16th).

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Lucky you, I'm sure you're very exhausted on a diving cruise[:D][:p] did you got some Coral snake by any chance? [:D][}:)] I have my PADI
licence but as been 10 years I didn't dive, mabe 1 day.

Edit: awesome & [8D]

Woodlvr

I hope that I am not out of line answering a question on this post BUT here is a web address that has snake skins for sale. I have been looking at it for awhile and have not had the nerve to order any until I learn to cast the resin. www.sdsnake.com I hope that is helpful for you guys.[:D]

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom