Smooth sailing until today...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

New member and pen turner here. Well, everything seemed to be going pretty good for me the past seven days, since I got my lathe, but not today. So far I made six pens, three Slimlines (purpleheart & rosewood blanks), two Sierras and one Bullet Cartridge (acrylic blanks). The first three (slimline) came out OK and the other three finished really nice I thought. Today, I was going to make two more Sierras, one for my son and one for his girlfriend. I screwed up both of them :eek:.... had a small chip-out by the right-side bushing when blank OD got close to bushing OD, also, the blank separated from the tube on both blanks. I'm not positive but these blanks (acrylic) I used today were different, maybe in name only, not sure but I'll look into that. Anyhow, I think my problem was all caused by me.... drill speed was probably a little too fast. Tubes seemed to have a little more play than previous blanks I drilled (new bit). Used thin CA (maybe should have used Medium CA this time). I think probably my biggest problem was, my not-so-sharp skew (probably created too much heat). I need to slow down (having too much fun), set up shop, get organized and sharpen my tools. Am i missing anything in my thinking of what went wrong today? Or, maybe my dentist earlier today drilled a hole in my brain while I was all numbed up and all my common sense drained out???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

preacherman

I use epoxy to glue the tubes in with. One thing on that sierra is that on the ends there is very little material there. It is very thin by the bushings. Extra sharp tools and take your time.

stonepecker

Slow down. This isn't something to rush. Take your time and enjoy the hobby.

Let the CA or Epoxy set up overnight. That is one big lesson I learned the hard way.

Last edited:

randyrls

Joe; About 50% of the time I find the best fit for a brass tube ISN'T the suggested drill bit. Long ago I invested in a cheapie 115 piece drill set. It includes all the fractional, number, and letter bits ($50). I drill out with a smaller bit and then drill a bit larger until I have a hole that fits. Always use thick CA for brass tubes and scuff the tubes with sandpaper before gluing. A new drill bit isn't always sharp, I sharpen mine with a Drill Doctor.

Last word; The same drill bit will drill a smaller hole in wood and a slightly (.005" ?) larger hole in acrylic.

CrimsonKeel

using thin ca is probably most of your problem. it wont fill any gaps.
I use thick ca for gluing tubes and then once i mill i dribble thin ca on the ends to seep down and get any spots i missed. then i let it sit for a day to fully cure.

greggas

Definitely want to use thick CA or epoxy.

An sharp tools is essential in any turning. Dull tools and rushing will,always cause issues...especially if you are new to turning.

Chipping of the blank may have been caused by drilling too agressively, not pulling the bit out every 1/4-1/2" to clear out as you drill. Or cutting the blank too short before gluing tin tube.....plastic blanks can crack at the exit point of the hole if you drill to aggressively ...leaving them longer can help avoid this

Good luck

MichaelD

Joe, another new pen turner here and had exactly the same problem a couple of months ago. Everything said before is correct. My problems were specific to:

Hole was too big and not being compensated for with adhesive. Corrected with buying one of those 115 piece drill piece sets and measuring the tube with calipers and matching the bit and using epoxy and letting it cure completely.

I found altering the speed for different materials made a huge difference for me. Some cast/wood blanks turn better at different speeds for me, especially at that final finishing point.

I use a skew from roughing to finishing and start with a sharp one and touch it up on a stone as I go. And always a good honing for the final turn down to the bushing.

Just another beginners experience with the problem you experienced.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
CA is not the best choice for gluing tubes. CA does not have very good 'shear' factor adhesion and shear is the action the glue has to hold against when turning. I advise epoxy and let it set over night. Sierra style kits do tend to have very thin material near the bushings and you do need sharp tools but also the smaller you can make the hole and still get the tube in the more material you'll have near the bushing ends.

George417

I use epoxy to glue the tubes in with. One thing on that sierra is that on the ends there is very little material there. It is very thin by the bushings. Extra sharp tools and take your time.

+1 on the epoxy and very sharp tools and extra time.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

mrmartyking

I use thick CA and rarely have a blow out. When I do have a blow out, it is because I am trying to turn difficult woods like black palm.

JP61

I still need to buy some equipment, like a grinder, jig and some more supplies. Right now I only have thin and medium CA. Used the medium CA tonight, slowed the drill press down and honed the skew. Much better :cool:

Made these two Sierras for my son and his girlfriend.

Again, thanks for the help!

Attachments

• 2013-08-22_21-45-01_420.jpg
    2013-08-22_21-45-01_420.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom