Smoketree ..?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

Hi every one, got my head in my exchange blanks barrel and find a forgotten blank, is written on it " smoketree " anyone know about this wood, if yes does any one got some spare? I love the grain, PM me if you got some, will try to post a picture of the one I got. Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

byounghusband

Darley,
It is also known as Texas Chittam
Try here:
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/ornamentals/natives/cotinusobovatus.htm

I made one of my VERY first pens out of it. I will see if I can find a pic and post it for you.

Edited to post this pic.

2007330135158_P4230047.jpg
<br />

Kinda crappy pic. I will take another if you want a beeter view. Just let me know.

Dario

Chittam burl is one of my favorites. This is after Chris (Chigdon) introduced me to it.

Very hard to come by though.

I thought I have a pic at my album but there is none there. Here is the one I made...sold to the first person to see it.

http://www.aoturnings.com/item060601.html (click on the pic to enlarge)

BLO pops the grain but darkens it fast so note that. IMHO, it destroys the nice yellow of the wood and will stick with pure CA later on this wood.

chigdon

That is right on Dario. It is smoketree and unfortunately it is very hard to find. I had a descent supply for a while but it is seriously dwindling.

Dario

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Heck I have two growing in the front yard. I planted them 4 years ago and they are already knee high----[:D]

LOL. I have 5 in pots. They are about 3 feet high each. If only I know how to induce burl formation [}:)]

The leaves have wonderful fall colors too BTW so not bad as decorative tree.

Gary Max

Lets see a burl-----hummm----a fungus or cancer type growth.
So you want your tree to get sick??????????
Sorry I just had to do that---LOL

ken69912001

I happen to have some smoketree burl. Beautiful looking wood. In fact i am in the process of making a pen out of it for a pen swap. I will post a pic when done.
I have enough for maybe 10 pens but i just cant seem to bring myself to give any away. LOL

chigdon

Here is the trick . . . move each of your trees to a very few very specific areas (mostly in northern Alabama), plant them in very specific limestone soils, wait until they get old enough to hopefully grow root burls, cut them down, jackhammer or dynamite or . . . the roots out of the soil to get your burl. Unfortunately the Smoketree is incredibly common but the burl is so rare it is likely one of the rarest in the world. I honestly wish it were easier to get.

Darley

Originally posted by ken69912001
<br />I happen to have some smoketree burl. Beautiful looking wood. In fact i am in the process of making a pen out of it for a pen swap. I will post a pic when done.
I have enough for maybe 10 pens but i just cant seem to bring myself to give any away. LOL
[:p][:p][:p][:p]sure you don't spare 1 ???? anyway I'm not looking for burl but a blank or 2 will be welcome [:D].

Here is the trick . . . move each of your trees to a very few very specific areas (mostly in northern Alabama), plant them in very specific limestone soils, wait until they get old enough to hopefully grow root burls, cut them down, jackhammer or dynamite or . . . the roots out of the soil to get your burl. Unfortunately the Smoketree is incredibly common but the burl is so rare it is likely one of the rarest in the world. I honestly wish it were easier to get.
this is what I'm looking for, to make sure that everyone understand me here's the photo of my blank, anyone got some from lumb, crotch, branches, event from roots???

20073314241_smoketree.jpg
<br />
200733142425_smoketree2.jpg
<br />
200733142445_smoketree4.jpg
<br />

chigdon

That is Chittam, Chittum, or Smoketree that is plain grain. I don't know anywhere you can buy it but it SHOULD be a lot easier to find than the burl. That being said, I have never come across the stuff for sale anywhere.

ken69912001

LOL Darly i just gave away a piece of smoke tree at the Midwest Penturners Gathering for the door prizes. It was big enough for at least 2 pens. And it was straight grained.

workinforwood

Looks just like staghorn sumac we have here in michigan. we have smoketree's too, but I never had an opportunity to cut one down..they aren't wild here..just ornamental. Sumacs grow like weeds, I cut them down and throw them on the shelf..I have piles of the stuff.

Darley

Originally posted by ken69912001
<br />LOL Darly i just gave away a piece of smoke tree at the Midwest Penturners Gathering for the door prizes. It was big enough for at least 2 pens. And it was straight grained.
Bother..!![:(][xx(].

]Originally posted by workinforwood
Looks just like staghorn sumac we have here in michigan. we have smoketree's too, but I never had an opportunity to cut one down..they aren't wild here..just ornamental. Sumacs grow like weeds, I cut them down and throw them on the shelf..I have piles of the stuff.
Any chance for a photo of your wood? what are you doing with your piles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom