smoke - fire ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

goodwood

I want to share my latest happening. I realize lots of dangers with woodworking but I found a new one.

I was turning a zebra and wenga blank for letter openers and as usual the soft wood needs a little help and I put a coat of Mylands celulose sanding sealer on it and it did it's job and hardened things well followed by sanding and then some more and more sanding and then a coouple coats of EZ cyyanote spell glue in preparatiion for triple E and then polish. I looked toward my sander table and there was the Scot rag actually smoking and by my interpretation ready to burst in flame. I never considered such a thing. I have burned fingers with Cy glue of course but this was a lot hotter. Anyone else ever had this problem. I didn't use BLO that I think will burn by itself also turn right into a scoup with a dust collector and the possibility of fire there. Help Harry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ryannmphs

I've had the smoke and even burns on my skin from the CA curing. Unless there was some sort of accelerant nearby I don't think there is enough heat generated to start a fire. I've never had the paper towel start to turn brown from the heat, just has lots of "smoke" from the CA.
I could be wrong.

Ryan

CPDesigns

I was stabilizing a corn cob just last week with thin CA and it started smoking something fierce. It actually got so hot I couldn't hold onto it anymore. After it was done sizzling, I noticed a few very dark brown spots on the cob. I've burnt my finger pretty bad with thin CA too; had an unnoticed dribble down my finger and hit the blank with a healthy spray of accelerator... YOW!!!![B)]. I had a nice blister after that one. I really thought that corn cob was going to burst into flames, though. They don't call it "heat of reaction" for nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom