Smitty Jr Gent 1 bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panini

Just got some jr gents from smitty. I thought I had 12mm drill bit, but none around. Anyone know where I can get one. Tried looking at the vendors but no 12mm....TIA:frown:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Try

Just got some jr gents from smitty. I thought I had 12mm drill bit, but none around. Anyone know where I can get one. Tried looking at the vendors but no 12mm....TIA:frown:
You might try 15/32 ...... 12mm is .4724 inch and 15/32 is .46875 pretty darn close. If that doesn't work look at 31/64ths which is a tad bigger than 12mm at .4844 inch. either of those should be available locally if you have a good hardware store around.

Last edited:

PenMan1

Do you need 12mm or 12.5mm. The gents that I buy call for 12.5, but I always use smaller.

Take your caliper and measure the diameter of the tube. If you don't have a caliper (and you should because eventually you've got to have one) you can measure the tip of your drill bits against the diameter of the tube.
Use the bit that is closest to the same size or just slightly smaller. Even the most precise drilling rig will "wobble" somewhat.

If the hole is too small, you can open it by running a rat
tail file through the hole in the blank, or turn your blank
1/4 turn in your drill press clamp and redrill with the same sized bit.

I almost never use the kit's drill bit sizing. I measure the tube diameter and the bit diameter. If I used the mfg recommendations, most times I could spit between the tube and the blank.

FYI, most Rockler, woodcraft, ace hardware and advanced auto will have a 12pm bit. IF that really IS the size you need.

Respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

Bill Sampson

I just completed one of Smittys' JG 1 kits; used a 25/64 and a 29/64. Drilled a cebloplast serpentine on the lathe and they worked perfectly. These are the same bits I use for the Baron.

Here are pictures of my son polishing and assembling the pen after it was turned. Craig is my son with Down's who loves to work in the shop every opportunity he gets.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Attachments

• DSCF0191.jpg
    DSCF0191.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 224
  • DSCF0194.jpg
    DSCF0194.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCF0195.jpg
    DSCF0195.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 192

bitshird

I just completed one of Smittys' JG 1 kits; used a 25/64 and a 29/64. Drilled a cebloplast serpentine on the lathe and they worked perfectly. These are the same bits I use for the Baron.

Here are pictures of my son polishing and assembling the pen after it was turned. Craig is my son with Down's who loves to work in the shop every opportunity he gets.

Bill Sampson, Richmond

Bill nice job on the pen, I love Cebloplast, I wish I knew where to get some of the Ruby and the Ice. nice to have your son in the shop.

Top Bottom