Smell of Antler Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

badwin

I love the antler pens. Up here in Alberta, Canada there is a ton of deer sheds. How bad do they smell when you turn them? Are they easy to drill and do you sand and finish like wood? Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WoodChucker

I guess it could get bad if you did very many at one time. But if you only do a few it's OK. There very easy to drill and that's where the smell really comes from. Turning them is pretty easy as long as you don't get too aggressive. Most people that I've talked to don't use a finish on them, I've only made a few and used a hut plastic polish that seemed to work pretty good. But someone else can give you better info on that.

knottyharry

Hi Brian,
This is just my take on the antler. Others may have different thoughts on the subject.
I don't mind doing the antler. Yes it does have a smell to it. And it is a little harder to work with. It is brittle, and when you drill it take your time. Don't drill a lot at once, and clean the drill bit often. If you have a dust collector, or vacuum use it.
The one thing I do is that I soak it for several hours befor I use it. This to me, seems to help with the smell a little. And makes it easier to turn. Just my opinion.
As for the finish, I treat it just like wood when I finish it.
I wish I had access to it like you do. It isn't easy for me to get. So if you ever want to sell some let me know.
Harry

wicook

Hi Brian,

Welcome to another Albertan! Harry says it has a smell to it. I would respectfully call that smell a STINK! It does, however, result in a nice product. With a good seal layer (I use shellac), it can be finished with anything you'd use on wood. One of the biggest difficulties is sealing all the porous areas.

coach

I have turned several and sand them like I do wood. Then mm to 12000. I then just put Shellawax on it and they are very glossy. Yes, they do stink. You get used to the smell after a couple. I always wear my respirator when I turn them.

badwin

Thanks everyone. Once the snow finally melts here I will get out and look for some sheds and give it a try. In the area we live in there are thousands of deers. To Harry, I don't know if I can send you some across the border it might be illegal, but I can look into it. Wouldn't sell them though just give for the price of shipping. To Bill, hi to a fellow Albertan.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Badwin, I have gotten antler from friends on "the other side" with no problem... the usually just label the customs receipt as crafting samples... same as I do for the stuff I trade to them.
If you get a good windfall of antler I would also be interested in doing some trading... I usually have a nice supply of good woods on hand...
The biggest suggestion I can give on using antler is to be real careful of the dust.. it can cause some nasty health problems.. I usually set my dust collector just under the ways of my lathe to catch the dust and wear a respirator... This could especially be a problem with sheds since you don't know what micro-organisms are living in them after they have been laying around..

swm6500

Brian, I have only made one of the antler pens, it is on the show your pens forum now. I did not have a problem with the smell, but I did notice it. If you were too aggressive it could probably smell up the shop. As for finishing I used MicroMesh to 12000 and then used a plastic polish from CSA and then a couple of coats or Renaisannce Wax. Take a look at it on the other forum and see what you think.
PS. I will always take antler if you have extra.

PenPauli

For me the worst part is when I bandsaw them to size. It does stink. I would compare it to how I would imagine burning teeth smell. But once I get past the cutting to size part it isn't bad.

rtgleck

You guys aren't nearly far enough north to be taking about things thawing out. C'mon. My Wife grew up in Flatbush (near Westlock). Now that's North. :) Antlers aren't too bad for 1 or two as others have said, but you are basically turning skin/bone so that'll give you an Idea of what your going to turn.

elody21

Be sure and have a mask on durning every cutting and turning step. Not only is it bad, as with wood dust for your lungs, but if you do not have a mask on the smell stays with you in your nose and mouth for days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom