smaller fountain pen options, you opinion please!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I am looking for opinions on the smaller fountain/rollerball pen options out there, basically the screwcap "American" and "euro" styles from Berea.
At first I was using the CSA "Americana" fp and rb, but will NOT make any more of those for several reasons. Only durable plating option available is rhodium (and the one I have been using has a LOT of pitting in the plating, less than 3 months old)and the snap-mechanism is way too brittle.

So.... for smaller fp's and rb's, are the American and Euro styles good? How are the screwcap mechanisms? Nice and smooth like the Sedona/Baron?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

I like the look of the euro, but I have never made one myself.

I agree about the plastic snap insert, they are truly junk over time...

I do like the round top americana style that Berea sells. Look in the pen swap photos, it's the one I got in trade. The round cap and post end makes it look a lot nicer than most Americanas.

redfishsc

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />I like the look of the euro, but I have never made one myself.

I agree about the plastic snap insert, they are truly junk over time...

I do like the round top americana style that Berea sells. Look in the pen swap photos, it's the one I got in trade. The round cap and post end makes it look a lot nicer than most Americanas.

I don't know where to find the pen swap photos. Could you linky me to it?

Brewmeister35

I like both psi's designer FP/RB and the classic in both but I have only done the elite versions which have gold in the front assembly instead of plastic. I think the plastic looks cheap and both pens write very well.

Firefyter-emt

I would say they are good, but it's still metal on metal threads. The cap posts very nice and in all I think it's one of the better kits for this style. I am pretty sure Berea makes a Euro style like this too. Not how I would build them myself, but better than the snap cap.

It's the one in the bottom photo.
817071.jpg

The pen in the above photo is the El-Grande Streamline (two tubes in the cap vs one) It's not a bad choice either, it's fairly light given it's size, has a much better thread. I will warn, that if "beat on" or abused, the thread coupler can break. Although, it seems to happen inside the pressed in metal coupler and I have been able to CA one back in place. I even think it's better now than before. I am debating how much it would take to remove the thread and add some CA before putting the pen togather.

gerryr

The threads on both the Berea Flattop American and Roundtop European rollerball/fountain pen kits are worthless. They are very coarse and will unthread themselves very quickly. I made one FT American rollerball and 2 RT Euros and will not make anymore. Remember that the nib holder on both of these is the same size as the Baron and because of the metal to metal thread, actually end up weighing about what a Baron weighs.

bjackman

If metal to metal threads on a smaller kit are a concern, (as it is for me, I pretty much won't make a metal to metal thread kit anymore), you are looking at:
Baron/Sedona: plastic to metal
Jr Gent/Jr Statesman: plastic to metal
El Grande/E.G. Streamline: plastic to plastic

If weight is a concern, as some commented on above, you might actually be better going with the el grandes, even though they are larger diameter, they are pretty thin and lighter.
If you go with a minimal length closed end you can get the weight down even more, (double closed end makes them even lighter by getting rid of the fittings up at the top!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom