Small pens with parker inserts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I have found many people think the cigar a touch too big. What is another good twist that takes the parker gels that is closer to the slimline size?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

One of my best sellers are the so-called American Flattop style pens (I think they are also called "Parker" style pens, since old Parker pens looked like them). Both Berea and CSUSA have them. I personally like them very much for myself. I do not care for the Cigar style at all, I think they are too big and too heavy. The American style pen is a bit thicker than a standard slimline, and smaller than an European style pen (Montblanc style).
Another option would be the Perfect Fit Convertible pen, from Berea, a very light pen for its size, this is my favourite ball point. It has an excellent Schmidt mechanism, and has for me and others an added benefit: it can be converted in seconds into a pencil, hence the name. So, no need to have both type of kits, pen and pencils, around. I sold only a few pencils last year, and all but two were PFCP, I need only to buy a few pencil inserts and I am prepared.

BTW, both styles take Parker style refills, either ball point or gel.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Do either of those require a tenon to be cut?

No need for tenon, there are two ways for both types of pen: either use a short blank and let the tube extend or use blank same length as tube and later, after you have turned and finished your pen, you have to part off some wood down to the brass tube. I have done both ways. In the case that I have really good square blanks I prefer the short blank method, if the blanks are really odd and for the PFCP I do the second method. I made some gauge blocks so that I do not cut too much off. BTW, Berea provides bushings for both methods, therefore, sometimes starters here get confused if they seem five instead of four bushings (and one of them has also a larger hole, so it can fit over the brass tube if the short blank is used).

jckossoy

The Patriot Pens from CSUSA are smaller and don't require a tenon cut. Plus they use the Parker refills. The nice thing is, it still feels like your holding a pen.

Kol Tov,

driften

Originally posted by jckossoy
<br />The Patriot Pens from CSUSA are smaller and don't require a tenon cut.

The Patriot/Atlas are shorter then the American pens but are a little bigger around. Its nice that its a single longer blank though. It shows off the wood nice. The CSUSA Amerincan Classic looks a lot like a more elagant Patriot but its not as big around so that is also an option. The size is not that diffrent.

Oh and don't forget the Click Pen. Its a parker refil and is about the same size as a slimline. I would think its the smallest parker based pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Jeff,

I have not used the click pen in years. When I did, drop it once and it was shot. Have you made many, are they in use, and are they working? Not surprisingly, the manufacturers are saying its "improved", but I'd rather hear it from someone with experience.

Thanks for your feedback,

driften

I have made three and they have been in use for about a month from people that I gave them to as gifts. My wife has one of them so I would know if it went bad. So far they are fine. They came from Woodcraft. I know its a small sample. There was another thread about the Berea click pen with positive results again in a small sample. It might be worth a try making a couple for people that want the better parker refill but want the thinest pen.

vick

A note this is based on my experience only. I am usually very happy with CSU products but the click pen is the 1 exception. I have found that the click pen's clip is to soft and bendable. I had order quite a few of them but quit making them after 2 because of this problem.

driften

The woodcraft click kit the clip does not seem to be as strong as twist pen clips. So I guess that is something to consider. I wonder if the "improved" Berea is better? Its not the same as the woodcraft kit.

driften

Originally posted by smwoodcrafts
<br />The "Retro" pen from Berea also uses a parker insert.

It sure does. I like it but it would look better without the centerband. The CSUSA kit looks just the same with single large section of wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom