Sloppy fit for tube in Sierra/Wallstreet 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I got the 27/64" Norseman Drill bit for Sierra's from Arizona Silhouette, but find that the tubes don't fit near as well as tubes for the "O" bit. I tried one of my own 27/64 bits with the same results---not good. Is there perhaps a metric size which works better, or do you just live with the slop?

The tube actually measures13/32" o.d.- I tried a 13/32" bit, but the fit is too close to go in. I've read that the Harbor Freight bits tend to make a slightly larger hole than some others, would it be worth a try to use a HF 23/32, and see if it's off just enough to make it work?

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grumps

If I'm using an acrylic blank for the Sierra, I'll use a "Z"-bit for the hole. When I've drilled wood with this bit, the fit of the Sierra tube is too tight. I guess the natural forces of the wood come into play here, but it's a perfect fit when using acrylic.

jt

airrat

Here is the breakdown of drill bits around the 27/64
drill -- inch -- MM EQ
Z ------ .413" --- 10.4902 mm
---------.4134" -- 10.5000 mm
27/64"-- .421875"--10.7156 mm
-------- .4331"--- 11.0000 mm

From that you might try a 10.5MM and see if it works

Dan_F

Looks to me like the 10.5mm should work, worth a try anyway.

Doesn't this amount of play between tube and blank bother anyone else?

Dan

SuperDave

Originally posted by Dan_F

Looks to me like the 10.5mm should work, worth a try anyway.

Doesn't this amount of play between tube and blank bother anyone else?

Dan

Dan,

It bugs me... I go for the tighter fit and then hand sand the tube so it slides in easier. The overall fit of the components are a bit too loose for my taste but will still make them as they are popular. If I start having problems after the sale, then I may drop them.

Jarheaded

If it isn't going to be a big problem, gorilla glue will fill the slop. I use CA normally, but the gorilla worked great when I accidentally drilled 5 nice Cigar blanks with a 27/64 bit.It saved all the blanks and the pens came out great.

Top Bottom