Sloppy cigar bushings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

Has anyone had any problems with too much play between the bushing and the mandrel? The blanks are being turned out of round at the center bushings and the shaft doesn't appear to be bent. My mandrels are measuring .2445 and the inside of the bushings are .2500 ( A brand new set also). The mandrels come from woodcraft and the A mandrels that are sold at AS are stated to be between .245 and .247, will the diiference between .2445 and .2470 make that much of a difference?.

Guess I better start making my own bushings.
Anybody got any scrap corian?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Samuel,

Yes, I had hell with cigar bushings from berea, which I assume yours are. I was told by a certain Berea reseller that I was expecting too much from inexpensive pen kit bushings and that I should just shim them to make them work. I was told they were within tolerance. I thought that was a BS answer so I enede up ordering some cigar bushings from CSUSA and my problems went away completely. They are much more consistent with better manufactureing tolerances and fit the mandrel perfect. No more out of round cigars for me!

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It sounds like you have a PSI mandrel and either CSUSA or Berea bushings. It's been documented many times on this forum that the PSI mandrels are slightly smaller than the other major suppliers. Three-thousandths of an inch is likely within tolerance but even this tolerance can be eliminated with a single wrap of adhesive tape around the bushing. Five and one-half thousandths can be shimmed with tape as well, it just takes a bit more tape and some careful, patient measuring. ALL of the major distributors have had problems with some of their bushings from time to time. Again, there are MANY discussions in the archives.

samuel07

Three-thousandths of an inch is likely within tolerance but even this tolerance can be eliminated with a single wrap of adhesive tape around the bushing. Five and one-half thousandths can be shimmed with tape as well, it just takes a bit more tape and some careful, patient measuring.

So I can just wrap the mandrel with a loop of tape or two? I'll give that a try first?

Thanks,

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I am sorry, but you should not have to shim your bushings to get descent pens. I have 3 Berea mandrels and 5 sets of Berea cigar bushings. All of them are sloppy on their own mandrel and yes, they are all A mandrels. Once I switched to CSUSA bushings my problems went away.

Teflon tape will work fine but is a paint in the butt. It wears out pretty quick and will have to be removed if you plan to do another kit that has better bushings. It is just not worth the hassle for me.

B

Bill Baumbeck

Hi Samuel07,

If you are using a PSI pen mandrel you may experience some looseness. The Berea cigar bushings, as well as being made to fit the Berea 7mm ('A' mandrel) is also available to fit their 'B' mandrel.

Please keep in mind that not all respondents to your question do not know nor are aware of any imporovements that may have been made to any bushing or kit.

Bill Baumbeck
Arizona Silhouette

KC

Bill... you seem to have taken offense to this post. Why don't you explain what improvements have been made?

Thanks..

KC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom