slmline pencil problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spitfire

I made a simline pencil for a guy I work with and he used it for abut 4 days and now it won't click(advance) the lead. When you push down on the top it pushes in but then it just stops and nothing happens. Any ideas on what might be the problem? Think there would be anyway to take off the hardware and just put on new hardware without ruining my blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kghinsr

The lead that comes with the pencil I have found to be not good.
their is nothing wrong with the pencil, Just unscrew and remove the mech.
unscrew the tip ( watch their is a very small rubber washer inside the tip)
then you can push the end holding the tip and the broken lead will ( should )
fall out be carful not to lose all the lead.
hope this helps
ken

bjustison

I have made several slimline pencils and have had numerous problems with the pencil mechanisms. I don't think they are a very high quality item. I have purchased all of my SL pencil and Pen kits from WC. I need to purchase a few replacements myself.

spitfire

Originally posted by kghinsr

The lead that comes with the pencil I have found to be not good.
their is nothing wrong with the pencil, Just unscrew and remove the mech.
unscrew the tip ( watch their is a very small rubber washer inside the tip)
then you can push the end holding the tip and the broken lead will ( should )
fall out be carful not to lose all the lead.
hope this helps
ken

He actually purchased lead for the pencil. It's not the lead it's the mechanism. It doesn't click.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Most pencil kits have been very troublesome. There is a Schmidt pencil refill that fits some pen kits - I think - and it does OK from what I have read. I can't address this problem or solution other than to say that in the past, pencil kits have been very iffy and troublesome.

nava1uni

I have found that the pencil kits from Woodcraft seem to work well. Use good quality lead or else it crumbles and jams the mechanism. You can use a fine wire to clean out the mechanism if the lead gets caught inside.
Cindy

M

monkeynutz

Originally posted by nava1uni

I have found that the pencil kits from Woodcraft seem to work well. Use good quality lead or else it crumbles and jams the mechanism. You can use a fine wire to clean out the mechanism if the lead gets caught inside.
Cindy
I have used a couple kits from WC that have a cleaner wire embedded in the bottom of the eraser plug. I don't know if they all come this way, but it's a useful tool when the lead gets jammed.

kghinsr

Spitfire
their is either a piece of lead stuck in the jaws that advance the lead or its stuck in the
tip. Just disassemble the tip like I explained and you will find the problem. Won't take more than
a few minutes. Its really very easy
ken

spitfire

I already cleared any lead that would have been stuck in the tip and still does not work. I will check the jaws but don't think there is anything in there.

kghinsr

I have used these for a number of years and what you say is the button won't push?
do the jaws open or do they appear to be stuck. sometimes with no lead in the mech.
they will stick and you have to push hard. the worst that can happen is you have to put
in a new mech.
ken

jrc

In the beginning of my pen turning days when I made 12 pencils 10 would worked and 2 did not. This happened a few times so I quite making the slimline pencils. Berea has a pencil that can also take a Parker pen refill.

DKF

I just finished making two of the El Grande pencils......they are actually the ballpoint pen that the Schmidt pencil mcechanism fits right in....They seem to work just fine, but time will tell. Don't know a thing about the slimline....

spitfire

Originally posted by kghinsr

Spitfire
their is either a piece of lead stuck in the jaws that advance the lead or its stuck in the
tip. Just disassemble the tip like I explained and you will find the problem. Won't take more than
a few minutes. Its really very easy
ken

Well after taking it apart 3 times you were right [:I]

inside the tip is a little rubber ball with a hole in the middle. I didn't see this the first couple times but it was plugged with lead, al good now. Thanks for the help Ken I feel like a real [:eek:)] now

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The problem with the SlimLine pencil is the SlimLine pencil. It's a POS.

I made 30 of them as Christmas gifts in an engineering office where I worked. The average time between opening the box and not working was less than a week, and there were a couple that didn't last out the 1st day.

The only way to get a good "click" mechanism is to buy a "Pentel" pencil, tear it apart, and replace the plastic barrel with one we have made. Besides function and durability, they are available in 0.5mmm, 0.7mm, and 0.9mm leads.

The Peffect Fit Convertible makes a good pen and pencil set, I haven't had problems with pencil failures, and the pen and pencil look like they belong together in a set.

This is my personal experience with the pencil kits. Others may have a different experience.

Armacielli

every pencil I've made has problems, too. In my current one the plunger stays down and wont be clickable again until one pulls it back up. and in my personal pencil, when I click it the whole piece of lead falls out. any ideas for these problems?

Top Bottom