Slin kits for Service men

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Sometime back Smitty offered some pens for very low prices if they were to be used for Service men pens. I took advantage of this wonderful offer and sent some to, I believe, Greg. I now have some time available and went looking for some more quality kits. I tried some of the Apprentice kits and was not all that impressed with the quality. If I am going to go to the work to produce a usable pen, I would prefer it to be reasonable quality. Has anyone found a source of good quality slims at a low price? I am looking for something in the neighborhood of 50 kits of mixed finishes.
I will be sending these to our own servicemen pens here on the IAP.
Thanks for the help.
Charles

terryf

Woodturningz has a special on Saturn finish pens 8 for $25 or 40 for $100 incl bushings along with a $5 discount and some other goodies thrown in. Might be worth looking at although I dont know the quality of these specific kits, I have ordered some.

alphageek

Former Moderator
If you will turn them, I will send you tiGold.

How's free sound?

:usflag::good::good::good::good::good:

Way to go Ed! I was going to suggest he come to you since I knew you have been good to these kind of projects in the past, but even I was surprised by this one!

Have fun turning Charles and from the brother of someone in active service, I know the guys and gals in the military will appreciate the results!

ctubbs

Ed,
That is one of the most astounding offers I have ever received! Thank you so very much for it, but I am willing and able to pay for the kits. I was just seeking the best price I could find. You are in business to make a profit and there is not as single thing wrong with doing just that. A private offer of cost or slightly above would be wonderful, but FREE is unheard of. My cost to finish them is negligible as my blanks come off my own property. I have some spalted crab and hackberry that will make some nice pens. It is felled wood by the ice we had a couple of years back. All it cost is the time to cut it up and that had to be done anyway. Ed, please give me a real price on 50 or so kits. I'll be thrilled to do this for our fighting people. I was unable to do my duty due to a childhood illness and then later an industrial accident. This is the least that I can do for our heros. Again Ed, thank you.
Charels

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Charles,

You do the labor, I'll provide the kits. Please send the finished pens to GaryMGg, who is trying to have 5000 by May, if I recall correctly. I told him I would help, I have NOT been doing a great job, so this may spark some interest.

If Papo will do 25, as we have discussed in PM, I am willing to "give away" another 75 (total 150).

I will ask any others who take this deal to PayPal me $6.

That way, I know your addresses will be correct. Thank you for YOUR contribution to our military men and women. We owe them much, this is a SMALL thank you.

ctubbs

Ed,
I'll start turning today. I sent Gary a few pens back in November or October I believe. I'll be glad to send him 50 more. I thought I would contribute these to the one IAP supports on the home page, but to Gary they will go.
Again Ed, thank you for your generosity.
Charles

MikeG

Thanks Charles!!

Any takers for part of the additional 75??

I would like to make some more. I did 10 pens for Gary's project with Smitty's special and some RAK blanks as I am unemployed. I just checked and I think I have enough blanks now to to do 25 more. PM sent.
Thank you,

Last edited:

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
Ed,
I'll call you tomorrow. Alex (awexx) and Sara (wezzer1994) started a pen turning club after school and have been making pens for troops. The difference between this and our other turn-thons in the past is that these kids want to turn and want to learn.

turner.curtis

Ed - As a former serviceman and employee that currently supports our warfighters, I thank you for your generosity. To those putting in the labor, your dedication and time is humbling.

PM sent.

dandpmorales

Thanks again for the opportunity to turn some pens for a great cause. I need someone to pm me the address to send the completed pens.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll let you know, I am going to start shipping now.

These will come to you with their "little baggies" removed-the parts are all individually bagged anyhow and I can fit a lot more in a box without all that bag---gage!!

Time to start "un-bagging".

Phunky_2003

Ed,

I'd like to say thanks. My brother is currently serving in Iraq. I send him a box of stuff every month. There are always pens in the box, he says they go quick most of the time by the time he gets the box people are lined up cause they know whats in there.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
James,

Thanks are not required, but certainly appreciated.

There is no way to tell your brother how indebted we all are to him. May God keep him safe.

Thank-you is far from adequate for what he is giving to us.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Charles (50) Papo (25) DandpMorales (25) and MikeG (25) are being shipped tonight.

AceMrFixit (25) is in the box, but I am not certain you volunteered. So, if you want it, you got it, if not, it goes to the next person who volunteered.

Thank you all,

Good turning!!!

Nick

Ed,
I will gladly do 25, Could you include a shipping address to send the completed pens.
Thanks to all the service persons for serving our country
Don Nicholas
Lakewood, WA

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also, WoodCraft has a national program that allows their stores to provide kits free, if you participate in a "Turning for the Troops". Some of these that I have attended are held at locations other than the store. They are very generous in their support!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
AceMrFixit has accepted the last box of free pens.

If you want to do pens for the troops, PM me and you will get very favorable pricing. Sorry, I can't do the "free" thing as well as WoodCraft. Keep supporting Exotics and we hope to grow large enough to make this a permanent arrangement.

Meanwhile----Thanks to all our service men and women!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
How about a few more

Why quit now....I'll make 100 Slimline kits available for folks who want to turn service pens for GaryMGg's project. Limit 20 kits per person. Free shipping to the USA. My choice of finishes though and some will be a grab bag.

Old Lar

Smitty,
I did some of Ed's before Christmas and will take you up on your offer for 20. I will be happy to pay the postage.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Charles (50) Papo (25) DandpMorales (25) and MikeG (25) are being shipped tonight.

AceMrFixit (25) is in the box, but I am not certain you volunteered. So, if you want it, you got it, if not, it goes to the next person who volunteered.

Thank you all,

Good turning!!!

The above members have pens on the way, from me. Why not let other members get these pens from Smitty!!

Your call, Smitty, just my thought!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Old Lar

Thanks Larry, I have your address so unless you've moved they'll be on the way tomorrow.

No I haven't moved. I'd like to be in Arizona or Florida instead, still in SD
Thanks for your generosity. Two of my sons and one of my nephews served in Iraq. They received so many kindnesses and generous gifts while they were there. They have shared with us how much those meant to them. This is a chance to offer a small thank you to others for their service and sacrifices.

Top Bottom