slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rifleman1776

Because of a request from my wife for pens to give to co-workers as gifts, I decided to make Slimlines instead of my usual European. I did this because, I am (pick one) cheap, unmotivated, lazy. I was able to buy Slim kits for a little over a dollar instead of the $5.00+ for Europeans.
I had only made Euros before and never a Slimline. Doing ten of them I was surprised at how quickly they can be turned. The actual turing time was so brief as to almost take away the pleasure of wood turning. Assembly is much quicker also. Of course cutting, drilling and glueing is about the same. Same with finishing.
I can see why they are so popular, quick and easy. But, to me, they lack the elegance of a European or other styles.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jckossoy

The nice thing about the slimlines is that they are easy. It's a great way to teach kids how to turn. So far, I've taught my Rabbi's 13 yo son and a couple of his friends how to turn. This past Sunday, I taught my friends 8 yo son how to turn. So far, all the pens that they've turned have been slimlines and they followed all of my instructions and made some really nice pens. Now their parents want them to make them one.

Jeff.

tipusnr

Slimlines, at their simplest, are extremely quick and easy. But they are also among the most flexible of the kits. Use your imagination and the fun will return...I guarantee it!!

jkirkb94

I agree Rifleman. I too love the European but the lowly[:)] slimline does have a lot going for it. One of the easiest to customize and as you said...cheap. Some people just love it for its size. Kirk[8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Ahhh...the "Kingly" slimline. Even in my hands it can be fashioned to please.

20041228223937_scan.jpg
<br />

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for posting that picture, Russ. I smile everytime I see the slimline, Russ-line, Fat-line and Long-line. These are what got me hooked, folks!

FYI, the top pen I call my Blues-line and is a direct result of seeing the Russ-line. There may be more differences than likenesses, but it was truly my inspiration.

Fred in NC

Oh yes, Russ, the instructions for the Russ-line got me started doing all kinds of variations on this simple kit. I still recommend all newcomers to the craft visit your site. Thanks once more, Russ !

G

The 5 in the middle are all "slimlines"
If you think of it a Euro style pen is a slim line with a longer bottom tube a fancy cap(which you can buy studs for and make your own) and a center band (which you can give the impression of)
THey sure charge a lot more for those extras.
With a slimline the kit is the chassis,your imagination makes it the hot rod.
pressBooks%20on%20beaufort%20001.jpg

dougle40

I agree that the slimline pen is one of the easiest pens to work with and there are so many things that you can do with it . Some of the fancier kits can only be made one way otherwise they don't work properly . Even Dick Sing agrees that it's the most versitile pen kit on the market .

its_virgil

Yes, but the slimline is the most versitile kit we have. I have not turned a slim line as a slim line in so long I can't remember. There is so much that can be done the the lowly slimline.
the possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Look in my yahoo photo album at http://www.tinyurl.com/38hor and see some slimline modifications. You'll be able to tell which pens are made from the slimline kit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Rifleman
<br /><b>Because of a request from my wife for pens to give to co-workers as gifts, I decided to make Slimlines instead of my usual European. I did this because, I am (pick one) cheap, unmotivated, lazy. I was able to buy Slim kits for a little over a dollar instead of the $5.00+ for Europeans.
I had only made Euros before and never a Slimline. Doing ten of them I was surprised at how quickly they can be turned. The actual turing time was so brief as to almost take away the pleasure of wood turning. Assembly is much quicker also. Of course cutting, drilling and glueing is about the same. Same with finishing.
I can see why they are so popular, quick and easy. But, to me, they lack the elegance of a European or other styles.</b>

jkirkb94

We call it the slimline but how many of us actually make it slim? Only my first one and that was it! Thank you(curse you) Woodcraft! It resides in the most expensive pen case that I have.[^] Kirk[8D]

2004123035516_my%20first%20pen.jpg
<br />

Tom McMillan

Yup---only one pen in my album not turned from a slimline kit---and none of mine are really slim---all are a variation---I find it fun and exciting to play with ideas for this kit---Maybe someday I'll move on to other kits---yup---gotta do that (but, I won't give up on the slimline "kit"!!!)

pen-turners

Another use I find for slimlines is to use up your materials that are not big enough for other pens.... I know I have done a bunch of corian pens that sold right away. Most corian type materials only come in 1/2" thickness unless you want to laminate them which opens up a whole new can of worms.....

Chris

Fred in NC

Too bad the manufacturers have not decided to standardize on a better plating for slimlines. The difference in cost for a Ti plating at the factory with increased production, in my opinion, would be small.

The clips that come with slimlines could be improved a bit too. Sometimes I get separate clips in other shapes for a little variety.

Darley

Originally posted by Fred in NC
<br />Too bad the manufacturers have not decided to standardize on a better plating for slimlines. The difference in cost for a Ti plating at the factory with increased production, in my opinion, would be small.

The clips that come with slimlines could be improved a bit too. Sometimes I get separate clips in other shapes for a little variety.

Fred in NC you're right I learn on this site to change clip but I did starter with slimeline as it was the most popular here in OZ Land, and easy to make, I learn on the I.A.P site how to improved on style, went to Russ site to see for the slimeline technic and I thank him a lot for is tutoring on it, especialy on long pen, Thank you Russ

Serge

Rifleman1776

After making about a dozen Slimlines my bushings are sorta chewed up. Don't know what the difference is with these and the Euros I usually make. But chewed they are. No comments about the chew-er, please. [:I]
Does anyone make a high quality bushing set? Like from carbide that won't chew.
BTW my Slimlines aren't slim either, they are kinda shapely. I'll post some pix later.

woodpens

This topic comes up frequently. Bushings are cheaper to replace than turning tools. If the bushings don't give, then your chisel will. I just consider them consumables. The more you turn, the better you will get at staying off the bushings. You may notice the grey dust from the bushings getting into the grain of your pens. I pour a little denatured alcohol on a paper towel and wipe the blanks to get this out before applying any finish.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Bushings are like sandpaper. Keep some extras on hand and treat them as disposable. BTW, where possible, I use undersized bushings and a vernier caliper to measure the barrels to fit the specific part it mates too. This gives a little nicer fit overall and I don't get to nuts over chewed up bushings.

woodpens

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />WoodPens and Lou, those are good tips. Thanks. Problem, though. I do tend to get 'nuts' over little things going wrong. [:I] Oh, well!
That's why you are here! There is a little perfectionist in all of us, some more than others.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom